Top of the Rhine Gorge


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Rudesheim am Rhein
November 6th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mechanical wonderMechanical wonderMechanical wonder

The holy grail of mechanical musical instruments was to incorporate violins. This master built circular bows that rotate around the two triplets of violins. The violins tilt forward and back to engage the bows. The mechanisms on the necks manage the fretwork. At the time, early 20th©, this marvellous machine sold for 15,000 marks: about the price of a decent house. Of the 3,500 built, about 80 still exist. Price now? About €300,000 - the price of a decent house.
Geo: 49.9789, 7.92641

Rudesheim, locally known for its fine Reisling and its quaint, 144m-long shopping street Drosselgasse. Population 10,500 and 3,000,000 tourists each year.

Also there, was Siegfried's private collection of 350 mechanical musical instruments, dating from the middle 19th©. One of his machines included a piano keyboard and six violins (see pic and caption).

I was also captivated by the collection of cuckoo clocks on sale, made in the Black Forest. These were beautiful and wonderfully intricate. If more than €400 was spent, the 19% VAT was waived and this more than covered the cost of shipping and insurance. Very tempted!

After Rudesheim we sailed down the 50km Rhine Gorge, with castles and palaces every few km on both sides. Here the dastardly Nazis added castle-like stone facades to the railway tunnel entrances to fool the Allies. This was because there was an agreement to avoid bombing historic buildings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Brandy coffeeBrandy coffee
Brandy coffee

A local speciality, this was prepared at the table with a flourish! The cream rosettes finished off the treat. Wonderful!


14th November 2013

Hey just love the tour with you guys. So interesting and yes, will be so valuable for your own personal use in days after your return.
14th November 2013

Grand. Did you get to hear it play? Or only now a piece of art. Absolutely gorgrous
14th November 2013

Yes, they turned it on. Only one volume - loud!
14th November 2013

Order me two please, look, sound delicious. Putting on weight yet? But guess with all the activity probably not.
14th November 2013

Dream on! Sure to be many kg extra, but neither of us game to check.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb