Saarburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 2nd 2016
Published: June 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

02 June 2016

Following rain for much of the night we woke up to low cloud covering the ridges both sides of the Saar and therefore thought we wouldn’t have much of a day. How wrong we were!

We walked 1k along the river bank into Saarburg. We didn’t have any information about the town as it is not mentioned in our Lonely Planet guide, but it appeared to be attractive with a castle and a couple of churches built on a ridge bordering the Saar. We did a very pleasant circular walk up to the castle where we ascended its tower and back down the ridge past one of the churches. Then came the surprise! When we were on the outskirts of the town centre we noticed a sign to a waterfall. Expecting a little stream we came across a thundering torrent on the swollen River Leuk as it passes along the main street of Saarburg between retaining walls built in 1641. An amazing and for us unique sight. A further hour was spent exploring the town before we returned to the van for lunch.

In the afternoon we cycled for 10 miles along the Saar to its confluence with the Mosel across the river from Igel where we are due to meet another 15 Murvi Vans and their owners next Sunday.

It was sunny in the evening while we ate our supper outside the van but yet again the night time rain soon appeared. It didn’t however dampen the memories of an excellent day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb