More photos...


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 23rd 2006
Published: August 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

OK; another "photo-only" blog from Jason. Hope you all enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Sunset in AmsterdamSunset in Amsterdam
Sunset in Amsterdam

To get to our camp grounds we had to take a tram for about five minutes and then walk over a fairly long bridge. This was view from the bridge on the first night.
Now she's shy?Now she's shy?
Now she's shy?

Katie sitting by a pond where we ate lunch in Amsterdam. She'll talk to and laugh with complete strangers, but when I turn the camera on her...
Home Sweet Home: Cabin 29Home Sweet Home: Cabin 29
Home Sweet Home: Cabin 29

Camping Zeeburg was an interesting place, to say the least. Hippies, travellers, traveling Hippies, mixed with families who needed a place to park their RV. We felt at home and safe, which could have easily have not been the case.
Frankfurt At DuskFrankfurt At Dusk
Frankfurt At Dusk

After an overnight bus trip from Amsterdam to Frankfurt, Kate and I had about two hours to kill before our friend Isabeland her mom picked us up. What else do you do at 5 o'clock in the morning but grab a coffee and walk around the city. This is in the Allstadt (old town) of Frankfurt.
The weight of the moonThe weight of the moon
The weight of the moon

In the center of the Allstadt (old town) in Frankfurt stands the Statue of Justice, which at one point spurted wine instead of water.
Isabel and KatieIsabel and Katie
Isabel and Katie

We met Isabel while working at Kingswood in England. She and her family have taken us in for the week and are simply amazing. Good food and side trips included; everyone should be so lucky to meet such kind people.
View from Wartburg CastleView from Wartburg Castle
View from Wartburg Castle

In Eisenach, near where we're staying with our friend Isabel who we met at Kingswood.
"Sure I can cook German sausages on the grill...""Sure I can cook German sausages on the grill..."
"Sure I can cook German sausages on the grill..."

I should have said "Sure I can burn German sausages on the grill..." But it's our favorite food so far.
Chi ChiChi Chi
Chi Chi

Katie finds kittens everywhere we go, she's like a kitten magnet...or she smells like fish (just kidding).
Point AlphaPoint Alpha
Point Alpha

Point Alpha is an old observation post along the old border of East and West Germany. On one side stands this tower in which about 8 East German and Soviet soldiers at a time would have guarded the border, keeping East Germans in, killing those that tried to make it across. Less than hundred yards away, in West Germany, stands an old American observation point in which American soldiers kept an eye on this region of East Germany until as late as 1994.
View from the American observation towerView from the American observation tower
View from the American observation tower

It was only a stones throw, but it was a lifetime away. Don't let the green grass and new trees fool you. Less than 20 years ago two fences, a vehicle ditch, land mines (which were attached to the fences as well), hungry and vicious guard dogs, and a handful of soldiers with guns stood between East and West Germany. All the American soldiers could do was watch.
Piece of the Berlin WallPiece of the Berlin Wall
Piece of the Berlin Wall

Located at Point Alpha
Beer Beer Beer BeerBeer Beer Beer Beer
Beer Beer Beer Beer

Köstriker!!! OK, even though I don't want to say it...this beer rivaled Guinness (sorry Arthur)...it didn't replace it on top of my list, but it gave it a run for it's money.
JFK: "Ich bin ein Berliner!"JFK: "Ich bin ein Berliner!"
JFK: "Ich bin ein Berliner!"

Translation: "I am a doughnut!"


23rd August 2006

Katie's Kitten allure
No, its the fish smell. Awesome pics dudes!
23rd August 2006

Great flicks!
Thanks for sending 'em . . . not exactly like being there, but you can start to imagine! Kostriker, ay? I'll have to see if they have any such thing at the Independent. 'Bye now . . . off on a beer quest.
23rd August 2006

Great pictures!
I miss you guys and seeing you in these pictures has made my day! Looking forward to the next novella, Michelle
23rd August 2006

Bravo!
Magnificent photos, Jason. Actually, doesn't this qualify as photojournalism? After all, you're writing captions. More, more! I like Dresden Busker, the weight of the moon, and sunset in Amsterdam the very best. Wow!
23rd August 2006

Fabulous pics!
Or course, great things to take pictures of...including the people!! I'm thinking that although you THINK you are having a wonderful time now, when you get home and look through these blogs and at these pictures you are REALLY going to KNOW you had an AMAZING, AMAZING TIME!! Keep on taking good care of one another! Love, Becky/Mom
23rd August 2006

The jelly doghnut pic
Katie, do you have any clothes on? Just asking.......love, mom
24th August 2006

photos are great
I have to agree with Becky that the photos are great but when you're home looking at them and reflecting back to that particular place and how you felt at the time will be something you will enjoy again. Katie attracts the most adorable kittens, I'm surprised that she hasn't smuggled them into her luggage. Continue to send the blogs, both photos and diary and continue to have a good time. Love, Donny and PaPa
24th August 2006

LOVE IT!!!!
I absolutely LOVE these pictures! I'm even showing them off around school...well, whoever walks near enough to the computer. I did print out the one of Katie with the sun shining on her in Amsterdam because I think it is absolutely beautiful and I want to frame it. Love you both and can't wait to hear from you again!! You look like you're having an amazing time. P.S. - I'm pretty sure that Katie always eats doughnuts in the nude :) I know I do.
24th August 2006

Awsome
Love the photos. Such an eye. Glad that you are having such a great time. Can't wait to see you both and give you a hug in person. Miss you both. Dad
25th August 2006

WOW!
Jason, Your photos are incredible. Beth wuold be proud!!

Tot: 0.393s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb