Recycling stone in the 1700's


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 27th 1993
Published: November 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


HeidelbergHeidelbergHeidelberg

Some of the ruins of the castle
UK & Europe, May 1993

Return trip to Germany! Only two weeks ago we were in Bavaria on business, now we were back again and would be seeing other parts of Germany. We seemed to have rejuvenated our energy and set forth with vigour.



Maybe it was the Rhine cruise that revived us. Such a pity it was only for a few hours and not a couple of days, but it gave us a taste of what it's like - beautiful scenery all around with some interesting towns that we saw from afar and once again we felt that it would be wonderful to return one day and tour through Europe at leisure.

In Munich I could show Paul a bit of what I saw when I went there on my own for the day, while he was working. We then ended at the Hofbrauhaus. One of Munich's oldest breweries - I don't usually drink beer, but even I had to partake while listening to traditional Bavarian music. A lovely jovial evening.



Thereafter we headed for Heidelberg and went to look at the castle which is partially in ruin. In the 18/19th century
MunichMunichMunich

Maypole
craftsmen re-used the stone to build another castle. It remains a ruin and apparently visitors to the castle love the idea of having their weddings at the castle and quite a few are held there every year. Methinks it will be a rather expensive wedding!



Cologne was done in a flash - all we saw was a glimpse of the Cathedral in cologne and that was it!

Germany done and dusted, with the next stop in Amsterdam, Holland - the last country of our tour, apart from Belgium, which we would just drive through.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

RhineRhine
Rhine

Cruising on the Rhine for a couple of hours
MunichMunich
Munich

Olympic stadium outside Munich - another drive by picture!
HeidelbergHeidelberg
Heidelberg

Archway built overnight to declare Mad Frederick's love to his fiance - can you spot the keyhole - the key to his heart fits in there, so they say!
HeidelbergHeidelberg
Heidelberg

The Castle
CologneCologne
Cologne

Cathedral in Cologne
CologneCologne
Cologne

Glimpse of Cologne - now you see it, now you don't!


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb