Day 19: July 20- Katelburg -Stein am Rhein


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 20th 2012
Published: July 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 16: Stein am Rhein Switzerland: 65km weather - great, sunny with wind in the right direction.

Up early again and grabbed chocolate milk in the local grocery. Today was our most challenging of riding yet in terms of hills. Pretty tough with the loaded trike but we are definitely getting much stronger. We saw incredible sights today and rode in and out of Switzerland to Germany three times. We ended up in Switzerland. We found the campground and setup and walked back to town (15 minutes) to have supper at a lovely little place on the Rhein. We happily sat below the Castle and enjoyed an incredible meal. We then walked back to the campsite and realized as walking up to our tent that Denis had not picked up the knapsack! Total panic set in immediately as they had our PASSPORTS in it and the Ipad etc., but really it was the PASSPORTS that had us in a total state of near heart failure. We were about to grab the trike and pedal to town when I noted the Italians setup next to us. I asked if anyone spoke English and couple did. It was like a total sitcom scene as they all argued and discussed whether they could drive us and it was finally determined they would. It was truly sureal as within minutes we were in their big van with 8 Italians all chatting at us in Italian and some broken English. The long and short was that we got to town, Denis did a Marathon run to get the bag that waitress had put aside and he came back. The Italians all clapped, we all hugged and we were driven back to the campground. Poor, poor Denis seriously almost died. He said he had never run like this in his entire life and that Donovan Bailey had nothing on him. In the end it was amazing how nice people can be and the fact that they really never questioned it, but just helped us out. It was the best and again we can't say enough good stuff about how helpful people are.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb