Sweden to Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 25th 2012
Published: June 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We did a bunch of driving/riding in a car in Sweden and I was surprised at how they keep people from speeding, or wearing seat belt, or running a red light ect. Every so many kilometers there is a camera set up that takes pictures of the car, license plate and the driver. If you are doing something you shouldn't be doing, the camera will catch you and the police will send you a ticket. Not the owner of the car but the driver because when you get your license they take your picture and now you are in the system. Some people try to cover their faces from the camera or hold the seat belt over their shoulder when they know the camera is coming up. And they do know when the camera is coming because there is always a sign to tell drivers that the camera is ahead. The thinking of the police, I am told, is not to "catch" or "surprise" them doing wrong but to do the right thing before the camera sees them. It all seemed a little creepy to me but I suppose some of that is already happening in the US.

We flew to Berlin and had a 5 hour layover. I was not impressed with the Berlin airport, very dirty and smelly! We thought about getting a bus or taxi to see what remains of the wall or checkpoint Charlie but after talking to a couple of people at the information desk we decided it would be too crazy to leave the airport. So we did a little bit of souvenir shopping (the girls and I)n, ate supper, took a short nap (ken) and wrote in our journals.

Munich airport was very nice and big and clean. We are much.more impressed with Munich! When we went to pick up our rental.car theybsaid they don't have a Eaton for us so they will give us a smaller car for 100 euros less. We took it knowing we would.be tight and we are but the car is VERY nice with a built in navigation system. The drive to the hotel.would have been.almost impossible.without it
We are pretty much smack dab in the middle of the city and even though I was prepare with a ggoogle map.and all I just think.we would have been driving around for.hours. As it was, we got in about midnight thirty.

The hotel is really a hostel so it is very "colorful" not stale like a regular hotel. Lots of different kinds of people just wanting to spend some time In Munich at a reasonable price.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb