Schiffergesellschaft- I hope I didn't forget any letters


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Schleswig-Holstein » Lübeck
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lübeck in Northern Germany was one of the richest Hanseatic States. They were traders dating back to the 1400's and probably even before that. If you get here make sure you go to eat at the Schiffergesellschaft Restaurant.

I grew up in Plymouth, Massachusetts and I know an old house or two that dates back to 1621 or so. But I have to tell you that I got chills sitting at the same tables where sailors and sea merchants sat over 500 years ago. This eating house has been used since the 1500's. Sailors would sit at tables on the main floor of the restaurant while the owners would sit up at a table on a dias or little stage. They would nod or shake their finger at anyone who was getting a little out of line or having a beer too many. Áll the crews from different ships would sit together so they got to know each other thus creating a bond between them. They had a pact that if one ship went down they would all share the loss so no one owner would go out of business.

The tables in the restaurant are bare wood some with carvings of names and symbols. Ship models hang from the wood beamed ceilings, replicas of schooners, some in full sail. In the center hangs a double brass chandelier where each evening tall candles are lit to fill the restaurant with a warm yellow glow. Oh, and did I mention the food? We four each had a different dish and each declared their's the best. Serving dishes were silver with gold handles. The prices were, I thought, considering we were in Germany, fairly reasonable- with wine the bill was around $110. Some experiences in life can't have a price put on them. I would urge you to save your pennies and make this one of your 'life experiences'.
Carolyn ( Gunga)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb