Bachland/DDR: Class Trip Part Two- Leipzig


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Leipzig
March 2nd 2008
Published: March 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our last night in Wittenberg, we got together with some German residents who meet with American tourists whenever possible to improve their English speaking skills while we got the inside scoop on life in Eastern Germany during the times of the wall. She told us how she was scared at times and found out she was being watched by the DDR for some time because she had relatives living in the West. For the most part she didn’t think much of living in the East and saw one of her greatest obstacles to be that she ordered a car when she earned her license and it took her ten years to actually receive it! I can’t imagine. I know that it would most bother me to not be able to travel where I wished; I’ve been extremely blessed to be able to travel extensively, especially in the U.S. with my family from a very young age.
Then in the morning, we made our journey over to our final destination—Leipzig. The downtown kind of looked like a European version of some Chicago streets, while the outskirts/suburbs were shadier. This is where we stayed. The hotel was nice, but once you step out of the front doors it was a different story. Highlights of this trip were the St. Nicholai Kirche and the St. Thomas Kirche where Bach often played and composed music. The St. Nicholai Kirche was especially memorable and beautiful to me because it was unique from the long list of churches I had seen thus far. This church was decked out in corals, creams, and mint greens as well as charming globed street-like lights along the balcony. The pillars were designed after palm trees…perfect for my beach-loving soul. At the St. Thomas Kirche we listened to a Bach concert including choral pieces and organ music.
This took place right across from Coffe Baum, where I had relaxed with a small group before the concert. Leipzig is well-known for its coffee because it was the first European city to import it from Arabian lands. Of course, we had to get some! There were many delicious kinds to try but I went for the more traditional—a cappuccino—my first time trying it. The foam melted in my mouth and underneath the coffee was so creamy. I added two scoops of sugar to make it extra tasty. It has tempted me to look into purchasing a cappuccino maker when I get back to the US.

Jesus blessed my trip and he provided some great memories to think back on!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb