Lepzig, City of Music


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Leipzig
February 4th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Leipzig Main StationLeipzig Main StationLeipzig Main Station

Hannah, Ali and me arrived at 15:35 on Sunday 3. February to meet our friends Nikki and Tory.

Of Carneval, Bach and Hot Chocolates



Last weekend, that was on the 3rd of February, 2008, we decided to go to Leipzig (home of Johann Sebastian Bach). Because the Karnival was going on in Cologne, which is 5 hours from Berlin, we decided to go to Leipzig (only an hour and a half) instead. Karnival is a festival that takes place in most German cities at this time of year, where people dress up, there's parades and music, and most importantly lots of drinking and partying. Well, when we arrived in Leipzig on Sunday afternoon (that is Mischa and I, our friends from Ireland Nikki and Tori and the amazing Alice from Oxford, who is definitly my best friend over here), the parade had nearly finished. But we still got a good glance at what went down early in the day. There was lots of confetti on the ground and all the men were wearing their fool's hats and the women these traditional Carnival dresses in bright, cheery colours.

Wondering out of the main station, we went to the city centre, and checked out the old town hall, and the amazing Thomas Kirche (church), where Bach is burried.
KarnevalKarnevalKarneval

Just in time for the end of the Carneval Procession with lots of people, costumes and confetti.
He was the church composer for many years up to his death in the 1750. Out front, is a huge statue of him as well as a Bach museum. We also had coffee in the oldest coffee house in Germany, the Coffee Baum (Tree) Caffee, as well as marvelous pieces of cake.

We also had lots of fun sitting in local pubs at night and listening to students jamming till 2am, while we drank the local beer "Leipzig Gose" and played cards. Our youth hostel was amazing, 4 star and very cheap. We made a wonderful breakfast there, even having the facilities to boil eggs for breakie. During the day we went for an amazing, creamy, dark hot chocolate at Auerbachs Keller, where Goethe wrote scenes of Faust in, while he was sipping coffee. It is said that rubbying the foot of Faust is good luck. So before we went for a drink we all rubbed the golden foot of the Faust statue outfront the caffee. Just accross from the caffee there is the statue of Goethe, another old dead celebrity of the city of Leipzig. He studied law there during his youth.

Besides the many hot chocolates
Let the Games Begin...Let the Games Begin...Let the Games Begin...

Ali, Torry, Nikki, and me at the main Carnival Square.
and Leipziger Gose (local beer), we also enjoyed the historic sites, such as the huge monument of the Battle of Nations, the largest in Europe. We also saw the two opera houses on Augustus Square that were build by the two communist leaders of East Germany in the 1950s and 1970s, respectively, trying to out-compete one another. Then on Monday night it was already time to say goodbye, one last hot chocolate and off we went back to Berlin.

It was an amazing city, full of crazy, friendly Saxon Germans--who love to dress up for Karnival, drink lots of beer and throw lots of confetti!!! Definitely a place we want to come back to. Bis zum nächsten Mal (till next time), Hannah and Mischa


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Altes RathausAltes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus

The Old Town Hall, now transformed into the City Museum.
Thomas ChurchThomas Church
Thomas Church

Church where Bach is buried.
J.S. BachJ.S. Bach
J.S. Bach

Bach Statue infront of his Thomas Church.
Caffee Zum Arabischen Coffee BaumCaffee Zum Arabischen Coffee Baum
Caffee Zum Arabischen Coffee Baum

One of the oldes Coffee houses in Europe. The old Saxon Kings loved their coffee supposedly.
At Coffee and CakeAt Coffee and Cake
At Coffee and Cake

Enjoying a round of coffees, hot chocolates, teas and amazing cakes, hmm.
Then for Indian DinnerThen for Indian Dinner
Then for Indian Dinner

Delicious Indian cuisine with Mango Lassies (Indian style milk shakes).
Leipziger Student PubLeipziger Student Pub
Leipziger Student Pub

Cool hang-out spot where we drank beer, smoked shisha (Arabic tobacco) and played cards.
Live MusicLive Music
Live Music

Live Music by different students jamming.
4 Stars for 14 Stars for 1
4 Stars for 1

Breakfast at our Leipziger "Summer Apartment". Well it seemed like it. This hostel was really nice, like an apartment for a very reasonable price.
The Girls The Girls
The Girls

The next day wondering the sites and streets of Leipzig.
Opera HouseOpera House
Opera House

The very monumental former socialist Opera House of Walter Ulbricht, first East German Communist Leader.
Monument to the Battle of the NationsMonument to the Battle of the Nations
Monument to the Battle of the Nations

As the name reveals, this huge monument comemorates the 500,000 German soldiers that died during the battles with Napoleon in 1813.
Radio HeadquartersRadio Headquarters
Radio Headquarters

MDR Skyscraper of the Central German Radio Station.
BurgplatzBurgplatz
Burgplatz

Old Castle Square.
Auerbach KellerAuerbach Keller
Auerbach Keller

Cafe in which a scene from J.W. von Goethe's play Faust takes place.
Good Luck FootGood Luck Foot
Good Luck Foot

Rub the lucky foot!
Ordering Hot ChocolateOrdering Hot Chocolate
Ordering Hot Chocolate

What else could it be.


20th August 2008

the end?
That's it? Are there more entries/ photos? You guys should keep writing (sometime), your descriptive powers are amazing, i like how you always include things like what you smell and what you notice like how there was confetti on the ground even though you didn't actually see it being thrown.

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb