Dresden


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Dresden
May 19th 2023
Published: May 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Berlin we spent a day in Dresden. After arriving at the hotel we walked as a group around the old city taking in the Zwinger Palace Courtyard, the Palace, Cathedral, and the Frauenkirche. The Zwinger Courtyard is under construction so we could only look at it from a distance. We continued to walk by the palace and Cathedral which are connected with a bridge for easy access from palace to church. We passed the FürstenZug. A mural depicting the "Procession of Princes" over periods of time. After completing the group tour, we had the rest of the day free as we did not take the option tour for the afternoon.

We first attempted to complete two geocaches Fred had wanted to try. We failed initially on both attempts misreading the first, which we eventually we back to find, and determined the location of the second was under construction so we gave up. In the process we walked along the terrace above the Elbe River and then walked along the river path. The Market Place was very crowded as it was a nice day and many folks were out and about, so we headed to a quieter area to find lunch. We settled on a little restaurant with outside seating, but soon gave up and went inside as the wind got very strong. Our lunch was typical German, Bratwurst, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.

After lunch we made our way back to the hotel hoping to get a chance to go inside the Kreuzkirche next to the hotel as we believe that Fred's paternal grandmother was christened in that church in 1870. However, by the time we returned the church was closed for visiting.

After a bit of a rest we returned to the old city to make a second and successful attempt at the geocache at the Frauen Kirche. We were able to go inside of this church and take a look.

We got "dinner" at McDonald's hoping for some coffee we could actually enjoy and an ice cream sundae.

Tomorrow we are off to Bayreuth and Nuremberg.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

KreuzkircheKreuzkirche
Kreuzkirche

We believe Fred's paternal grandmother was christened here in 1870.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb