On to Bayreuth and Nuremberg


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our tour continued on this morning into Bavaria to the city of Bayreuth. The city is know for its connection to Richard Wagner and his operas. The city holds a festival for Richard Wagner and he had a strong influence on the opera house. We started there with a tour walking thought the streets to the New Palace. Once there we were on our own to explore the city and grab some lunch. We took in some of the gardens and statuary of the palace and from there looked for lunch. Most eateries served sweets so we ended up with crapes filled with Nutella served with vanilla ice cream. It was quite good. After lunch we walked the pedestrian streets for a bit passing the Old Palace and oddly enough a large dinosaur.

Leaving Bayreuth we then traveled on to Nuremberg made famous from the Nuremberg Trials after WWII. Old Nuremberg is a walled city with many interesting places to see. We made our way to the Hauptmarkt. Along the way passing the castle, the Albrecht Dürer house, and St. Sebald Church. Once we reached the market place we were on our own until dinner. The market was busy with folks selling their wares. One of the popular vegetables this time of the year is the white asparagus. In the market place is the Schöner Brunnen, beautiful fountain and the Frauenkirche. From there we crossed the Pegnitz River to look for a geocache and photograph the Lorenzkirche, passing several fountains on the way.

We gradually made our way back to the Market Place for a dinner of bratwurst, sauerkraut and mashed pototoes. Yum!

Tomorrow we will travel on to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb