Now in Old East German town of Wertingerode


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony-Anhalt » Wernigerode
June 11th 2017
Published: June 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Short drive today from one town / one campsite to another.

We didn’t rush to leave but still arrived at our campsite, Alte Waldmuhle in Wertingerode by 11am.

Weather glorious

Reason for visiting this town is to take a ride on the Harz mountain steam railway.

Kisbee was excited to be taking another trip so soon and we drove into town and eventually found the station, for some reason not where the Tomtom or Google maps seemed to think it should be. We booked our tickets for tomorrow to go to the top of the mountain, Brocken, and back ..€41 each but sure it will be worth it.



We had a wander round the station as one of the steam trains was in. This is a regular scheduled timetable which goes all round the mountains. Our trip is about 1.5 hours each way. Should be good.

Into town for a wander round this, another lovely ‘medieval’ town. Such a delight. More ornately decorated timbered and also slate buildings in every direction. We stopped for lunch but were lost when it came to choosing from the menu as there are no English translations to be found in this part of Germany.

Fortunately the man at the table behind put us out of our misery and translated a couple of things for us.

Bob ordered turkey breast and pasta (our friendly German said is was like chicken but bigger but didn’t know the word so I presumed turkey !)_ and I had a schnitzel as I could recognize the words for the accompaniments. Champignon and kartoffel.



Hadn’t planned a full meal but it was really good and we decided to compensate with a light salad meal for dinner later.

Had a most enjoyable walk round the town until we got too hot as temperature up to about 30 so back to the campsite.

Kisbee seems to have a starter motor problem. I hope he doesn’t let us down before we can get it seen to which will be once we are home again.



Back at the campsite I would have relished a swim but only pool was full of goldfish. I decided to sunbathe so put my swimming costume on, settled in my lounger under the awning and the sun went in. Right behind a cloud and didn’t come out again. So much for that.

Rain later (and now as I’m typing this) has cooled the air but due to be fine again if not quite so hot tomorrow.

We’ve been serenaded tonight by a couple of most melodious songsters. Thrushes I’m pretty sure. Think they’re happy that the rain will bring the worms and snails out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.623s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 31; qc: 153; dbt: 0.5195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb