Koblenz, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate
November 13th 2004
Published: June 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Date: 13.11.2004
Destination: Koblenz, Deutschland
Day: 1

We use Schoenes Wochende ticket again for this trip to Koblenz, the place where the Rhein and Mosel River meet. The trip to Koblenz in the south needs 2 hours but as we no need to change any train, it is much more better than Kassel.

We went there early and there was some friends there from Hamburg and local that become the tour-guide for the day. First stop was the Marksburg Castle, 10 minutes train from Koblenz. The castle is on top of a mountain but for me, it is just normal compare to England's. The old town below the castle has the medievel feels and we got lost for some time trying to find our way there. We follow a local guide around the castle and the interior was just normal. The main reason for this castle in to defend against the intruder long long time ago.

After a climbing up and then down the hill, we headed towards Koblenz again, this time toward the town and the point where the river meet (Deutsches Eck). The old town was full of people shopping as Christmas season is coming soon. There was a lot of water fountain and small statues around the town. Some really big and complicated. As we walk towards the river, one can see another castle just on top of the hill beside the river. Luckily we don't have time to go up there! Then there is the enormous monument facing the river. So big that there's room below the monument. It was made for Kaiser Wilhelm in a shape of warrior riding on a horse. It started raining so we rushed back to the train station but stopping at a church just close by. The church has another funny thing, a big thumb statue on the ground. Ha!

We went to the shopping complex near the train station before made our long journey home. All the hill climbing made us tired and hungry.... and cold.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb