Germany's Oldest City


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
June 19th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Porta Nigra Porta Nigra Porta Nigra

the oldest Roman Gate north of the Alps.
Geo: 49.7537, 6.64625

We arrived in Trier mid morning to a 34 degree sunny day. We were too early to check in to our hotel, so we took a walk around the city.

Trier is a city in Germany located on the banks of the Moselle River. It is the oldest city in Germany, founded around 16 BC.

First stop on our walk around the city was Porta Nigra, which is the best-preserved Roman City Gate north of the Alps. We then visited the site of the largest Roman Baths north of the Alps. We were a little underwhelmed when looking at the above ground Roman Bath ruins, until we located the stairs to the subterranean passages containing the many rooms used for the baths.

We then visited the massive Constantine Basilica, a basilica in the original Roman sense, which contains the 67 m long throne hall of Roman Emperor Constantine.

We then visited Trier Cathedral, a Roman Catholic church that dates back to Roman times and is home to the Holy Tunic, a garment with a recorded history back to the 12th century. In catholic tradition it is said to be the robe Jesus was
Roman Baths RuinsRoman Baths RuinsRoman Baths Ruins

above ground
wearing when he died. It is exhibited only every few decades, at irregular intervals.

We then walked to the ruins of the Roman Amphitheatre which could hold 20,000 spectators at gladiatorial contests.

Across the river from our Hotel is located an old Treadwheel Crane, being the Gothic "Old Crane" (Alte Krahnen) or "Trier Moselle Crane" (Trierer Moselkrahn) which dates from 1413.

Had a great dinner on the balcony restaurant of our hotel overlooking the Moselle River and the Old Crane.

Off to Metz in France tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Old Treadwheel Crane Old Treadwheel Crane
Old Treadwheel Crane

lying on the river bank opposite our hotel.
Roman Bath RuinsRoman Bath Ruins
Roman Bath Ruins

underground showing the many rooms running off a passageway.
House Dating From 1368House Dating From 1368
House Dating From 1368

in the town of Bacharach on the Rhine River.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb