Overland 1972 - Day 4


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Mainz
February 16th 1972
Published: February 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

February 16th 1972 - Day 4

A nice easy start to the day for Heather and I as our new friend from Stuttgart had promised to drive us to Heidelberg. One and half hours later and we were there. We were going to stay at Margit's house very near to the Centre. Margit was one of the students whom we had met in Bournemouth whilst she was studying English. Michael helped her with English conversation and Margit joined our social group during her stay. I did remember with some embarrassment that on her last evening, she picked some daffodils from the central park in Bournemouth to give to her B&B owner - ah well no harm really ! Margit had already left with Michael and so we talked with some of the students staying at the house. The students at Heidelberg University were brilliant. You could eat at their Cafeteria (unofficially probably) and get a very filling meal for only DM1.25 - a boost after our cautious spending to date. For several of the meals, the students gave us their vouchers so that we paid nothing. In the afternoon, Margit showed us around Heidelberg Castle, which is a number one tourist spot, and then we wandered through the City. Evening meal was again at the student Cafeteria before a pleasant social evening with Trude, Margit, Karen and Wolfgang - they kindly supplied the beer ! I slept on Wolfgang's floor - not a good night's sleep and makes you appreciate YHs hard beds - at least it was free !

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb