Burgomeister


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Koblenz
June 17th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.3567, 7.59948

First stop this morning was to visit Ehrenbreitstein Fortress which overlooks Koblenz. Access to the fortress is via cable car from the Koblenz side of the Rhine River. After walking around the fortress, we caught the cable car back across the river.

After lunch we drove to Burg Eltz, which is a medieval castle nestled in the hills above the Moselle River between Koblenz and and Trier. It is still owned by a branch of the same family that lived there in the 12th century, 33 generations ago.

Burg Eltz is the best known ancient castle in Germany. The castle was never conquered. We had a tour of the castle in english which was great. The stairways that link the various levels of the castle were designed to assist in defending the castle.

After leaving Burg Eltz, we drove to Cochem along the Moselle River. Reichsburg Castle overlooks the town of Cochem. We walked through this old medieval town, enjoyed a gelato and then headed back towards Koblenz.

After stopping at another unknown castle for photos, we continued on to our Hotel.

We had dinner at a restaurant which had a panoramic
View of Deutsches EckView of Deutsches EckView of Deutsches Eck

from the cable car that goes up to Fortress Ehrenbreitstein.
view over Koblenz. Great meal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Reichsburg Castle  Reichsburg Castle
Reichsburg Castle

that sits above Cochem.


Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb