Pretzels and the Pope


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
March 28th 2008
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This morning we were meant to rise at Five am. The alarm went off, but guess who went back to sleep...ME! Unfortunately Megan did exactly the same thing, but did manage to wake before me. The race was then on to finish packing our bags (I lightened my load) and heading out the door to get to Stanstead Airport. In the end, we couldn't have timed it better! Phew! It was then on to Cologne, Germany...

Cologne was very nice. Megan and I were very impressed when the train driver stop from departing to let us on. Where in the world would that happen!? We even got a wave. It was also nice and easy to get into the town centre.

The massive train station is situated right next to the Dom, Germany's biggest cathedral. The whole little Jesus, Pope and Christmas mad because of this, but it was a very pretty church. And tall. We decided to walk up all the stairs of the steeple. 509 steps on a small winding staircase with two way traffic is hard work! The view at the top was worth it though! Amazing! Nice sense of achievement. And to reward ourselves, our next stop was the Chocolate Museum!

Here we got to see how they make Lindt Chocolate. It all looked so yummy, and we got to try some out to the big chocolate fountain they had running. We may have gone bad for seconds. Couldn't help hoping that an Oompa Loompa would come out at any moment, but there was no such luch. There was an old man working there though, who looked like quite the expert and had spent his whole life working there. Very cool to see him at work.

After a quick stop for some fritz and mayo, it was back to the station and then on to Cairo! I quite like Cologne, it was a pretty little town and had some of the best Chrissy decos I have every seen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb