Cologne and Marburg fun


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Marburg
March 1st 2009
Published: March 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!

Here in the kitchen of my dorm since I got on to a wireless signal from a guy a floor up. Hey the kitchen is better than going all the way into town. Anywho, as usual the past few days have been pretty filled with things to do. Finished week of German classes. They are going well. We have a good time in there since none of us speak much German, so we usually have a good laugh at each other as we try to pronounce words correctly.

Saturday we went on our day trip to Cologne. The biggest (in a few ways) attraction is the Dom in Cologne. It is awesomely big and has been in a continuous state of construction for hundreds of years. We decided to make the trek to the top of the tower, which if you look at my pics, you can see it is so tall I couldn't even fit it in most of them. The 529 stairs were quite a workout and I was sweating by the time I got to the top. The view from the top was awesome though. After that we checked out the local brewery and tried their Kolsch beer. It was light, but still tasty. We all wanted to see the chocolate museum then, so we walked over to that and went through it. The gift shop was the best part, haha. We walked around for a little while more, then headed back around 5:20. The last part of the train ride was interesting because there were a bunch of drunk soccer fans, and the thing was totally packed.

After we got back we got ready quickly and went out for a little while while. First to this little bar, I forget the name of it. And then we went to delirium, which is huge. We went up a floor which is just a big bar. It was cool though because I was talking to this German kid for a while about random things. It was just cool to hear about things from another perspective. After that a few of us shared a taxi back to Wehrda. Thinking of everyone back home, Be Well!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



4th March 2009

Cologne
I'm glad you got to the cathedral. Did you go with a professor or did you have someone along who could give you a history of the building of this cathedral? What was the most surprising part inside (other than the tower)?

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb