Bratwurst and Cordon Blue 1996 -2003


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Hanau
January 22nd 2003
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I was stationed in Germany three times. Once when I was single from 1983 to 1984 at Schwienfurt. The second time in Wiesbaden with my brand new family from 1990 to 1993. And the last time was from 1996 to 2003 at a small town of Hanau, about 15 miles south of Frankfurt. Fleigerhorst Kaserne used to be a German Air force base during the second World War. It survived the war because the Allies could not pinpoint the air base from the sky and therefore could not bomb it. The secret was water. The Germans would pump about two inches of water into the airfield when an attack is imminent. From the sky it appears to be a lake. Germany has a lot of history, castles medieval fest and beerfest. On weekends we would drive to famous castles in Heidelberg, Wurzburg and Aschaffenburg. Shopping in Frankfurt and Kaiserlautern. Christmas markets In Mainz and Nurnburg. Medieval town of Rothenburg and Trier. On long weekends we would drive to Newschwanstein Castle, Herrenchimsee and the Black Forest. You can drive to Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Spain, France, Denmark and the Benenlux. On one four day weekend, we drove to London. Left on a Thursday night. Drove all night to Calais, France to catch the 7:00 am ferry to Rasmgate in England. Drove to London, Windsor Castle, and Stonehenge. Left England on a Monday afternoon and went to work Tuesday morning. But this is about Germany. There's so much to see, so much to do. Every weekend there's somewhere to go. As Arnold would say. I'll be back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb