Layover in Frankfurt


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt
November 22nd 2009
Published: December 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Frankfurt was a pleasant surprise.

I arrived at the airport and took the S-bahn into the city, to the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). I had a few hours before the train, so I left the luggage in a locker (costs 2 Euroes, near McDonald's) and went for a walk. The neighborhood right in front of the station was a bit seedy, with a lot of strip clubs and XXX movie theaters, but I didn't feel unsafe in any way. On the other hand, it was on Sunday during the day. The old town was surprisingly close. There were shops set up for the Christmas market, but nothing was open; what a pity. I visited Schirn, where there was an exhibit of (replicas of) Mao-era sculptures: Rent Collection Courtyard. It was interesting, but the admission was expensive. Socialistic art became a part of capitalism.

I walked across the river and walked along the other bank. The trees with the falling leaves were beautiful. The weather was brisk but not uncomfortable. It was really pleasant. The city reminded me of Minneapolis, with the Mississippi river and the criss-crossing bridges.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Schirn Art HallSchirn Art Hall
Schirn Art Hall

in Frankfurt
Sculptures from Mao-eraSculptures from Mao-era
Sculptures from Mao-era

"Rent Collection Courtyard" at Schirn Art Hall in Frankfurt


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb