The Rain has caught up with us Oct 14, 15 & 16 2022


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt
October 14th 2022
Published: October 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

The Rain has caught up with us Oct 14, 15 & 16 2022

We slept in late this morning knowing it was raining all over Germany.

Kirsten and I vonder down to breakfast and the dining room is full. We find our table, we’re happy but sad knowing our getaway is coming to an end.

Last night as Kirsten was slipping away, I started checking the flights. Yeah, we’re doing the buddy pass shuffle.

Its Friday and the flights Saturday looked pretty good, it’s raining so l suggest.... let’s go home and get out of this rain.

Kirsten agreed, so after breakfast I loaded Frankfurt Zentrum “city center” into the google maps and Apple Car Play took it from there. We ended up in downtown Frankfurt, parked the car and grabbed our umbrellas and walked the downtown. We weren’t searching for anything, but Kirsten stopped and said “Hey I need to get Mark his birthday present, I know exactly what he wants “. So, into the big shopping store we go and yes, we found it and bought it.

Now we have been to Frankfurt multiple times, but this time while looking for a place to get a beer and something light to eat we came upon an indoor market. I was just like the one in Florence, Italy.

Amazing, food vendors up and down the aisles. There was even a second story just like Florence. We bought a pork sandwich, and both snacked on it. We then needed a beer, so we walked back toward the car and found a beer garden and had a beer and goulash soup to warm us up.

Once back in the car, we headed toward the airport looking for a place to stay. We have always stayed at this Holiday Inn Express close to the airport. We knew that was our reliable hotel and beer garden across the street. After looking at a few other hotels we decided to stay at our old reliable hotel.

Once checked in we checked the flights still looking good and then jumped into the car and drove across the street to Beer Garden. Why drive ....because it’s raining.

Again, we squeaked in without a reservation, what is going on in Germany. We’ve never had to have a reservation, now every restaurant is requiring one.

We had a very filling and delicious meal. We were exhausted and off to bed we went.

Tomorrow morning was decision day.

Good night.



Good morning, it came way to early, it’s still raining we showered and dressed and headed down to breakfast.

Well, everyone else must have had the same idea about leaving early. The flights filled up and it wasn’t looking good for Sunday or the rest of the week.

Kirsten would get on, but I would probably have to follow another day at best.

So, what do we do. Kirsten asked is there any place is there you would like to go?

When I was a kid, I lived in Crailsheim. My dad was in the army, and he was stationed there. Kirsten and I visited it one year while doing Christmas markets. It wasn’t much, but I figured I would give it a second chance.

Well, it sounded like a good idea, but Kirsten drove for two hours in the pouring rain and when we arrived it was not a cute village at all, but just regular town. We drove past the location where the old army base was, and it had been converted to houses and apartment buildings.

Bad idea, now we had to drive back. We took a different route and the closer we got to Frankfurt the more sunshine we saw.

I asked Kirsten should I make reservations at the same Beer Garden and received a prompt NO!

I started looking for restaurants around our hotel. I needed to find a special restaurant. You know our last night in Germany. So, I found 3 restaurants.

I’m giving Kirsten directions and as we approached the first restaurant Kirsten squealed out, they are having a FEST!

I looked up and sure enough the main street going into the village was blocked off and there were carnival rides up and down and back and forth through the village.

Kirsten whips the car into the first parking space she saw and was walking toward the FEST while the car was still rolling. I locked the car and ran down the street trying to catch up with her.

Kirsten and Fests.....

We found the beer tent; it was next to the bratwurst tent. After an hour walking around and enjoying the lights and carnival sound Kirsten asked if we could go have dinner.

Yes, we can. However, the first restaurant would not take us because we didn’t have reservations.

The second one, the Golden Apple did, and we had a great meal and fest on our last night in Germany.

Back in our room I checked our flights, and they hadn’t improved and maybe gotten a little worse.

We both went to sleep with our fingers, toes and legs crossed. Hoping and praying the “Buddy Pass Gods” would look down on us favorably.

Good night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.431s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb