Biergartens in Bremen


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bremen » Bremen
September 13th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since our last entry, we've spent more time in Copenhagen, visited the city of Malmo, Sweden, and traveled 7 hours south to the German city of Bremen.

On our third morning in Europe, we caught the train to Malmo, about half an hour away from Copenhagen. Here we visited the Turning Torso, a high rise that turns 90 degrees and looks like a cloth being wringed out! We saw the old castle in town, and checked out other sites (fortunately all without having to pay).

We then headed back to Copenhagen where we visited the famous Tivoli Gardens park, an amusement park with gardens, rides, games, and tons of theme restaurants (think pirate ships!). The claim to fame for the gardens would have to be the hellavator/swing ride. Essentialy, the ride shoots you up in the air but spins around at the top giving you the best blurred visions of the city, albeit for a steep price.

So we departed lovely CPH for Deutchland, where the train ride was a gong show. It was the ski and board bus trip to Sun Peaks on acid. We didnt have reservations, but got very lucky with a seat that no one claimed. We made friends with our seatmates, and were amazed to see the train be loaded right onto a ferry between Rodby and Puttgarten! We transferred trains in Hamburg, again onto a train that we had no reservations for, but sat in a room that no one claimed and had the space to ourselves! hahahahah.... After about 7 hours of travel we arrrived in Bremen to a nice clean, bright hostel on moments away from the train station.

So what is the first thing you think of Germany? Well if you guessed beer, pretzels and bratwurtsers then this is the place for you. We headed down to a mile long biergarten which would be our home for the next few days. Bremen is absolutely beatiful, with a laid back vibe to it. All of the tourist sites are in a compact old town core, about 20 minutes walk from one side to the other. We visited the old buildins in town, and went over to the Becks Brewery to book a tour... only to discover that all the english tours were booked. Disappointed, we booked a german speaking tour, desptie knowing about 3 words of german. When we arrived for the tour, however, we got really lucky, dropped Teija's last name, and got into the English speaking tour! plus the tour was awesome: 2.5 hours long with 5 beers EACH included.

After sipping some of Bremen's finest we went back to the biergarten to continue the trend while watching Torsten Frings pick the corner for a 3-0 win for Werder Bremen only seconds down the road. All of this was happening while a rowing regatta was taken place over our left shoulder. We got to watch about 15 boats row past, all looking very professional.

In conclusion, we absolutely love Bremen. Teija has suggested learning German and moving here haha!


I would like to take a second to introduce a feature of the blog I like to call misplay of the week.

This weeks installment comes to you from Bremen where a BIG Brit demolished the bed due to his sheer girth. Unfortunatly for Teija he was in his birthday suit and she saw more than she paid for. Uggghhhh....

Well German keyboards make no sense so bye for now.


Advertisement



14th September 2008

beer!
Glad you guys are enjoying Germany! Don't forget to not miss out on sauerkraut, 1L beers steins!
14th September 2008

Nice town to visit
Hey TJ and Teija, It's been so great reading about your adventures; I don't know which one of you is the writer but you're GOOD! Just wanted to suggest a beautiful town for you to visit now that you're in Germany. Aachen is located close to the Holland border and it's a gorgeous university town. We're glad you're having so much fun! Hugs from Aldergrove!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb