Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin
June 10th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


During the Second World War the best part of 85% of Berlin was reduced to rubble.

In the 1950’s, something like 1 in 3 of Europe’s cranes were found in Berlin.

Despite the fact that a majority of Berlin is “new” it still retains a fascinating and romantic character. One would have to be disappointed having visited this vibrant city and realise they haven’t stayed here long enough.

We have, once again, used the Etap brand (from Accor) to call home for three nights. Etap Europe is a one star version of Novotel or Ibis Hotel. They have proved to be very clean, comfortable and cheap accommodation. Yet again we are most satisfied with our decision.

On our first day we ride the subway and find our feet, so to peak. The history that bespeaks this city is magical.

I was here in 1989, the year that the wall came down and I have to admit, I do not recognise the place.

Ok, small history lesson.

Following the fall of Nazi Germany, the victorious forces ie; USA, England and the Russians basically sat down and divvied up the spoils. Uncertainty, suspicion and an uncontrollable flow of professional personal from East to West led to the construction of the Berlin Wall and the subsequent separation of Germany, for about 30 years.

Twenty odd years later the remnants of the Soviet – Allied “Cold War” era is still a major drawcard to the tourism structure of Berlin.

At this time of year the city is a bustling hive of activity and it will be virtually impossible to escape the hordes of tourists that continually descend upon this beautiful metropolis.

We have gone against our normal trend and have opted on one of the paid tours of Berlin. Insider Tour “The Original Walks in English” has been operating since 1996 and having completed this light hearted and informative tour, of 4 hours, we can well see this company lasting a long time to come (thank you Barnaby).

Insider Tours offers something like seven different tours, from the Berlin Nightlife Tour (I think the guide bids farewell around 1am) to the Concentration Camp Memorial Tour (about 6 hours). We have opted for the Famous Walk.

From famous and iconic sites, such as “Check Point Charlie”, the Brandenburg Gate; from where Napoleon stole away the Victory Statue only to be retaken and returned. We delve into the history that charted the development of the city from the Teutonic Knights to the reunification of a divided nation.

Just short of the controversial Memorial of the Murdered Jews of Europe we stop in an unassuming suburban street, in a car park. Barnaby states “we are now standing above the site of Hitler’s Bunker”. He then proceeds to recount the final days of a very strange and demonic individual. By the end of his narration we are left speechless and somewhat flat. I guess time to reflect on a time we do not wish to revisit.

Once again we tick off another city that needs to be revisited. It’s time to pack the car and move on. The weather is warm, not hot but mild. The mornings are fresh, yet not cold. We will make our way south west to the city Trier, in the Mosel region.

Did you know, that all the trees in Berlin have been counted and numbered?? You’ve got to love German proficiency.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb