Trier


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
June 13th 2011
Published: July 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


From Berlin we traverse southwest for near on 6 hours and arrive at Trier, in the Moselle Valley and on the Mosel River.

The drive is what our expectations of Germany would be. Vineyards and orchards along with dense forests bordered the freeways and motorways. Abandoned castles are being refurbished into expensive hotels.

Now, Trier is regarded as the oldest city in Germany and is a major tourist destination for Germans. Occupied and used as a major fortification, by the Romans around 30 BC it was taken by the Franks in the early century AD. Prior to this, it is believed to have been colonised 2000 BC by an Assyrian Prince.

The medieval old town is cobbled stoned and has numerous, large, market squares which are favourably supported by bars, restaurants and cafes.

We will stay here for three nights at a small hotel/pub, Handelshof, very comfortable room and excellent meals. The two staff are an Italian waiter and a Greek waitress. Both are a laugh and work well together.

It is only a couple of minutes to the house of Karl Marx, he was born here in 1818. At most hours of the day or night swarms of Chinese and Koreans can be found outside this house having their photos taken.

It is easy to stroll around the inner city and take in the sights. One of interesting things that we found fascinating was the community gardens. For around 150 euro a year you had a plot of land that you could use as your own garden. The lane that we walked along stretched for about 1 km and the plots looked like small residential blocks, yet you are not allowed to use them as living areas. A variety of crops are grown and families seem to spend their spare time being one with nature, in a densely populated area.

A walk along the river was a delight. Watching the river boats cruise up and down the Mosel was most relaxing and ancient krahnens are scattered along the lush banks create a fairy tale atmosphere.

Roman ruins are strewn about the city, you turn a corner and there is another excavation site.

Wondering “home” one can drop into a Weinhaus and sample the local wines (you’ve got to pay of course) or try one of the local bars.

All in
By the banks of the MoselBy the banks of the MoselBy the banks of the Mosel

Krahnens' used to load and unload river barges
all we have again enjoyed another fascinating part of our journey.

Next stop Heidelberg.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Porta NigraPorta Nigra
Porta Nigra

Roman City Gates


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb