Day 30 Wurzburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Würzburg
May 17th 2018
Published: May 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After such a wonderful previous evening we were correct to expect a wonderful day today. It was so. We met with Marie Adams, a former colleague, whose wedding we are here in Wurzburg to attend, for a cuppa and catch-up chat for an hour or so, before final arrangements beckoned. She is marrying a local, who keeps saying to Marie, “When are heading back to Australia?” After the wedding.

Jane and I continued on our exploration of this beautiful city of 130 000 people. It is surrounded by vineyards and forests and with the river Main cutting through it was no surprise to read that Wurzburg has the title, “City of Europe”, awarded by the Council of Europe. Considering that 90% of the city was destroyed by allied bombing in 1945 it has recovered remarkably well. Has that convinced any reader to have Wurzburg on their travel itinerary? 14 Nobel Prize winners come from this city, the most well-known, Wilhelm Rontgen for the discovery of x-rays in 1901. Of course, you all knew that.

We crossed the Alte Mainbrucke (old main bridge) and followed a laneway path bordered by old style houses and businesses before coming across a Romanesque basilica built in 1042. Next to it, for redemption purposes, was a former women’s prison from the 1800’s. Continuing up a zig-zag path to the base of the Marienberg Fortress (Festung Marienberg), we kept marvelling of the views and the steepness of the vineyards that completely surrounded the fortress. A photo that follows gives a background explanation of the fortress. We wondered who and how would the vines be tended to. By good fortune, that too, was also answered on our walk and again a photo or two was taken by way of explanation. Upon reaching the top and making our way inside the fortress we lunched with food we had brought in the town earlier and at the same time soaking in the sun’s rays.

We slowly meandered our way down the only side not travelled and then followed the river until crossing at the Friedenbrucke (bridge) to our hotel to rest up before tackling the old city tonight and for us to enjoy a wine or three in the friendly atmosphere on the Alte Mainbrucke.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement











Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb