World Championships 2010 - Day 7


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Schwangau
May 16th 2010
Published: May 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Neuschwanstein CastleNeuschwanstein CastleNeuschwanstein Castle

... yesterday, almost hidden in the fog.
No flying today. Tegelberg was again covered in clouds this morning. It had even snowed quite a bit above 1,000 m SL. So on the mountain, there is quite a winter wonderland 😉.

Yesterday, I wrote something about the discussion on sponsorship and FAI/CIVL rules. The topics are discussed on the OzReport, Davis sent me the links. So if you are interested, have a look: sponsorship; sponsorship once more; sprog measurements.

Klaus and I walked up Tegelberg once more yesterday. We took another route than last time. First, we walked over to Neuschwanstein Castle, then we took the track up the hill and walked along the high route to the top station of Tegelberg. Shortly after we had left for our tour, it started raining. The rain turned into sleet when we got higher up, then it turned into snow. We were completely wet when we arrived up there, in spite of good clothes. We caught the cable car back down and then walked all the way back to the apartment. I was freezing cold when we arrived there and had to take a hothot shower first.

In the evening, we had a great party again. There was a live band
WaterfallWaterfallWaterfall

The creek Pöllath behind Neuschwanstein Castle
this time that played great music, and Heather and I hopped on the dancefloor straight away. There was dancing all night, it was just awesome. Heather also sang twice, and she just has such a great voice. Rebi put a video of her singing on the World Championships Blog. Finally, we ended up in the “Kurhaus” again, dancing and having fun. The result was one more short night.

Today, Achim took us for a big walk. First, we were taken to Buching, a little village some kilometres east of here, by bus. From there, we walked up Buchenberg, about 300 metres of altitude difference. I had my first solo flight off that hill. A lot of memories came back. I still recall how happy I was after that flight. I had that big smile in my face, and I was barely able of saying a single coherent sentence.

We had lunch at the restaurant on the top of Buchenberg, and then we took a track back towards Tegelberg. It ended up being a trip through a winter wonderland. A few centimetres of snow everywhere. Close to the next hut, there was a steep slope that we had to walk down,
On the way to TegelbergOn the way to TegelbergOn the way to Tegelberg

... yesterday. First, there was rain. Then, there was sleet. Finally, it was snowing.
all covered in snow and very slippery. That was pretty exciting for me because I’m not completely trusting in my legs yet, but it was good exercise. And I was grateful to Achim because he helped me in the extremely slippery or steep parts. In the end, we had done a five hour tour. Wow!

Now, I’m back in our apartment, and later on, there will be a film night in which we will watch different hanggliding videos. So you see we’re far from being bored. But a few pilots left already because of the bad weather. Some of the Austrian team, one pilot from the Dutch team, and our Danish Air Marshal. They want to save their holidays for flyable days, which I can perfectly understand. But it is sad to see them leave... We hope there won’t be more pilots leaving... The organisers are really doing their very best to keep us entertained. And they are doing a pretty good job, I reckon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Spring oder winter?Spring oder winter?
Spring oder winter?

Flowers in the snow on our way from Buchenberg to Tegelberg
Again spring or winter?Again spring or winter?
Again spring or winter?

Icicles on the twigs of the tree, snow on the tress below, and green grass in the valley
Winter wonderlandWinter wonderland
Winter wonderland

No kidding, I took this picture this afternoon
Smurf HadewychSmurf Hadewych
Smurf Hadewych

Hadewych and Jamie said that they look like smurfs in the blueish anoraks ;-)
Smurf JamieSmurf Jamie
Smurf Jamie

She is sponsored by Adidas - and even has the Adidas logo on the plastic bag she uses for protecting her camera from the rain.
Achim & KathaAchim & Katha
Achim & Katha

Hangglider pilot Achim was our tour guide today.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb