Regensburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Regensburg
December 16th 2014
Published: December 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

St Emmerams BasilicaSt Emmerams BasilicaSt Emmerams Basilica

A most stunning interior. There is intricate decoration and some quite macbre details. It's entirely the opposite of churches today but wonderful to see
The hotel seems to be very full, presumably because the Christmas Markets are so popular. This meant waiting to get breakfast until quite late. We're now wiser and will hopefully beat them to the post tomorrow.

Later in the morning we headed for St Emmerams Abbey by walking around the back of the park across from the hotel and back to the palace grounds where the market was last night. The church and palace seem to merge into each other by different parts being either rebuilt or added to. It is now known as a basilica and once had a monastery attached to it. It was founded in 739 but seems to have very old parts built over in time. On first entrance you are struck by the magnificence of the interior with amazing paintings, intricate carvings and decorations, ancient tombs, a huge organ and many alters. Churches built during this time show pure magnificence but it does make one wonder where the simplicity of Christianity and it's teaching was during those years.

We wandered through the many narrow streets and alleyways admiring the old buildings and cobbled streets. We eventually arrived at one of the market places to view the products. We bought Christmas presents for all the family and headed back to the hotel for a short time before heading to the markets again as daylight disappeared and lights were turned on. There is no doubt that it is the lighting that livens up life and the surroundings during long dull winter days. They become quite enchanting.

There were a number of market places to visit but it was the last small one with hand crafted goods that was the most impressive. Some reminded me of the crafts made in Nelson. There has not been anything encouraging to buy as I don't need it, it isn't practical to transport, it's Christmassy so not much good to us here and it might melt or break, but it's great to look at.

We still have not gone across the river to another part of the town or visited St Peters so that will have to wait for later in the week. It's all quite compact so easy to walk to. People walk or buzz around on old bikes with baskets for shopping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb