Nurnberg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
September 10th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nürnberg


NurnbergNurnbergNurnberg

Garrett showing us the street
We caught the train at 10:00 am this time, and the whole group went with us, as it was a required group trip. The thing that was most interesting about this train ride was that the train was already crowded! As it turned out, it was the end of a holiday, and school was just about to start, so people were returning home. Most of the people had huge suitcases. So for about 45 minutes, the majority of us stood. Lucky for me (not) I stood in the entryway by the WC (bathroom). Not knowing this, I leaned on the door and just about fell over when a lady emerged from the door (to open the door, you pull in).
When we got to Nurnberg, the train station was a lot like a terminal at the airport. It was very large; none of us expected Nurnberg to be such a populous city- the train station was even bigger than the one we stopped at in Munich the day before. There were fast food places all over, in addition to souvenir shops…and sex shops. Yeah, the Germans are pretty open about their sexuality.
The first thing that we did was meet up with Larry and Ruth’s friends and their son. They were to be our guides around the city for the day. We walked out of the station and began to explore the city. One interesting thing about the day was that it was like garage sale shopping! A lot of people had booths set up and were selling new or used items. I spotted a Louis Vuitton bag and wanted to stop and look but the rest of the group had already started walking into St. Lorenz church. There was a lot of history with the church; it had used to be a Catholic church but when Martin Luther began the Lutheran system, the church converted to be Protestant.
We spent the rest of the time in the city walking through the farmer’s market, climbing a hill to get really good views, and we also visited the oldest church in the city. My photo descriptions have more details about specific locations.
After walking around town, we went to a real German restaurant…the entire menu was in German, which we had not yet encountered. Luckily, our guides were still with us, and one of the students in our group knows German really well, so we were able to order. The German food is really different than back home. It is all about the schnitzel…and saur krout. The ketchup is very bitter….hardly any tomato taste. They eat their French fries with little forks, and beer goes with everything. My food was alright- I ordered Schnitzel “Weiner Art” which is compressed pork fried…. I still have not yet gotten completely used to the differences. But one thing that is really nice is that the food order comes very quickly, even for a large group.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

RiverRiver
River

Morgan, Josh, me, Garrett and Dustin near a river
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Flowers at the market
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

More flowers at the market
ChurchChurch
Church

Me in front of another church than was damned by the pope to not have any towers (Bad stuff happened and they were being punished)
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

View from on the top of a big hill
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Me and the cathedral
TownTown
Town

Me, Christine and Amanda
BridgeBridge
Bridge

Me on a bridge over a river
GroupGroup
Group

The entire group of students, Larry and Ruth, and their friends who were our guides for the day.
SPEZI!SPEZI!
SPEZI!

London, Kristi and me with our Spezi (pop)
Schnitzel "Weiner Art"Schnitzel "Weiner Art"
Schnitzel "Weiner Art"

My food, which is apparently very popular with the children. It was decent
ColiseumColiseum
Coliseum

Scott and me in what would have been Hitler's Coliseum. It was at a museum in Nurnberg


10th September 2007

I just saw a thing on the History Channel about that coliseum place. crazy!
11th September 2007

Ashley that is awesome! You might know more about it than I do!

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb