München to Mad Ludwig


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Neuschwanstein
October 11th 2006
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Munich Railway StationMunich Railway StationMunich Railway Station

..or, part thereof...biggest in Europe
We just came to Munich because its the only way we can use our Railpasses to get to Füssen and the fairytale castle built by "Mad" King Ludwig (Google up Neuschwanstein Castle if you're interested in the whole bizarre story)

We did the City Sightseeing tour on arrival in Munich but after the places we've been in the past 2 weeks it didn't do a lot for us. Having said that there were a few lovely buildings, especially around the old city centre of Marienplatz (see pics).

Caught the early train down to Füssen - the Munich railway station is something else - biggest in Europe with 36 international and long distance platforms plus two other levels of local rail systems and a virtual city of restaurants, banks, shops ....you name it. Wave after wave of passengers pass through running from one train to another.

Heading south from Munich was lovely with the Bavarian countryside in autumn looking stunning. The farmers were busy mowing hay ready for winter and the lush green fields were good for the soul after the noise & pollution of Munich.

The castles lie just outside the pretty little town of Füssen -
Bavarian countrysideBavarian countrysideBavarian countryside

from the train
we caught two buses from the railway station as the 5km walk to the ticket office then almost 2 km straight up to the castle was too daunting. Even from the second bus stop we had a very steep walk of half a km to the castle entrance and once inside more than 300 steps to the upper levels of the castle.

The guided tour was excellent but unfortunately we werent allowed to take photos inside (bought the obligatory postcards instead). Poor old Ludwig barely got to enjoy his castle after such an extravagant building programme - he was found floating in the lake in the pics.

This is the castle that inspired Disney's Fantasia and other fairytales apparently - you can see why from the pics.

We are back in Munich tonight, leave for Innsbruck tomorrow.

Love to all, A&M


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Castle groundsCastle grounds
Castle grounds

waiting for tour
View from castleView from castle
View from castle

looking down on Füssen
View from a nearby bridge.View from a nearby bridge.
View from a nearby bridge.

bridge near castle over deep gorge and spectacular waterfall.
The postcard viewThe postcard view
The postcard view

we would have had to climb up a higher mountain or ride the cable car to get this view!........SO, we bought the postcard instead.
The bloke who took our photo.The bloke who took our photo.
The bloke who took our photo.

compleat with lederhosen and alpine cap!
The walk to castleThe walk to castle
The walk to castle

a bit of an ordeal!
The "Other" CastleThe "Other" Castle
The "Other" Castle

this smaller one is more accessable but takes 2nd fiddle to the main one which is what everyone comes to see.
Karl & Max StrasseKarl & Max Strasse
Karl & Max Strasse

We thought this intersection might appeal to those 2 grandsons of ours. Max(imillian) was pretty big around Bavaria. Statues and names everywhere.
MarienplatzMarienplatz
Marienplatz

This is now the main city centre square in Munich. Old cobblestone square has seen lots of changes since medieval times, from a place of public executions to street markets to street carnival, performers the arts and now thriving busy hub and trendy cafes etc.
MarienplatzMarienplatz
Marienplatz

taken right on dusk


12th October 2006

tooth fairy
If you havent herd abawt this wel lisen up! When I lost my tooth I wonted to make my tooth clen it got stuk in my toothbrush then it sliped and fel dawen the drane then I started to cry. That night I herd the tooth fairy but I didnt look because my mum told me not to and then I herd a nois I sed mum I was luky because it was her. Then it became morning I looked at my tooth keeper and ges what I saw two $1 coins and a note love Emily.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb