Neuschwanstien and Hohenschwangau CastleTrip


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Hohenschwangau
January 25th 2010
Published: May 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Im catching up on blogs and pics for the family. Sorry some of these are months late.

This blog is about our trip to the Neuschwanstien Castle. Some history (thanks to wikipedia): The castle is a 19th-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany. The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria. The palace was intended as a personal refuge for the reclusive king, but it was opened to the paying public immediately after his death in 1886. The palace has appeared prominently in several movies and was the inspiration for Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle.

We woke up VERY early to catch a taxi from our apt to PanzerKasserne. We didnt have our car yet and that was the most expensive cab ride in our lives. Once we arrived we hopped on the tour bus and attempted to get some sleep on our 3 hour journey. This trip was sponsored and guided by our wonderful USO. The USO creates a lot of tours for everyone. Sometimes they are a little pricey but they take care of everything so it can be worth it.

I got some good photos on our way there of the mountains and surrounding scenery. It was freezing!!! Did I mention the long hike up the hill to get to the castle? Luckily they had gluwhein and some yummy hot doughnut like food. Very tasty! The castle inside was pretty amazing as well. We hoped to see more rooms and more of the castle but only certain sections can be toured. We also toured the Hohenschwangau Castle which is almost right next door. Both castles were great to see but unfortunately no photographs allowed inside. 😞 So, sorry to diassapoint. Only photos are from outside and around the grounds.

Enjoy the pics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb