Last day. A winter wonderland


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bayerisch Eisenstein
December 26th 2014
Published: December 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After saying that it was not a white Christmas, it was. Overnight it started to snow and by morning we had quite a white blanket of it. We had hoped to have gone to the National Park Headquarters at Neuschoenau near Grafenau, but we were too late to make the only suitable connections by trains and bus. Instead we chose to go Bodenmais which is a train connection at Zweisel, the up into a higher basin to the largest resort town in the area. It is mainly known for it's glass shops and schnapps distillery.

We left the apartment with the snow falling steadily and trod our way carefully to the station. By the time we made our train connection to Bodenmais the snow was falling thickly with the entire landscape covered in snow. It might have been cold but it was very beautiful. We had Skyped friends in NZ where it was balmy and warm but a day in this beauty was worth forfeiting a few days of summer.

In Bodenmais we called in on two large glass outlets. They both had a stunning array of glassware in every conceivable colour. The range went from small to huge,
The huge centre chandelier in the Bodenmais churchThe huge centre chandelier in the Bodenmais churchThe huge centre chandelier in the Bodenmais church

There were 6 other chandeliers, 3 down each side with this one in the centre of the round roof.
ornamental, lighting, glassware, crystal, jewellry and outdoor ornaments. In fact if it could be made in glass it was there. The crystal chandeliers were most impressive. We figured that we weren't too keen on carrying glass about and we were soon going to Prague known for it's Bohemian glass. We would take a look there.

We wandered into the older part of town and visited a most attractive church, not only beautifully painted inside with the usual religious ornamentation but it had amazing chandeliers hanging with one huge central one. The weight would have been enormous.

After hot chocolate and plum tart, we got the train back to Eisenstein again. The snow had stopped and the sun came out. Back at Eisenstein there was now a thick layer of snow, at least 5cm and it was reading 0deg outside the apartment.

That was our last full day in Bavaria. It has been excellent. We've seen a lot, visited many markets, experienced the beauty of lighting in a winter landscape, had lots of snow and had a winter Christmas. All boxes ticked.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Linds on Bahnhofstrasse after snow falling most of the dayLinds on Bahnhofstrasse after snow falling most of the day
Linds on Bahnhofstrasse after snow falling most of the day

Walking can be treacherous on snow laden paving stones


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb