Merry Christmas from Bayerisch Eisenstein


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bayerisch Eisenstein
December 25th 2014
Published: December 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tacky stuffTacky stuffTacky stuff

If you want gnomes or other tacky stuff the this is the place
It's Christmas Day and unfortunately it is not snowing, so no white Christmas for us.

After a cruisey morning and light lunch we set off for Zelenza Ruda across the border in Czech Rep. Goodness knows what they are trying to portray directly across the border but it is absolute tack. The immediate street has cheap Asian markets of soccer tops, back packs, gnomes, animals and so much more awful looking stuff. Not just one, but several with all the same stuff. Good word that. Stuff. Add to that a Casino and a "gentleman's club" and you really wonder about the country because it's not a good introduction.

Anyway, we veered away from the dross and headed up a hill with berg path markers on it intending to get to the town of Zelenza Ruda. We ended up at the entrance to the Sumava National Park which joins into the Bayerisch one on this side. There also appeared to be the derelict remains of an old glass factory but how could we know? It was in Czech which was totally foreign to anything I know about. There was plenty of signage though. This whole area is known for it's glassware and maybe if our luggage allows it we'll get some in Prague.

We headed back to Eisenstein into a freezing wind with the odd snow flake. We were very happy to arrive back in our nice warm apartment. Despite the cold there were many others out and about no doubt shaking down their Christmas dinners.

Our dinner was a fine repast. Starters: Crackers and gorgonzola. Main:TTAT's Turkey Steaks with mushroom and onion sauce accompanied by roast potatoes and lightly saute'd vegeys. Dessert: Apple Strudel and icecream. All accompanied by a bottle of bubbly kindly supplied by Bavarian Holidays. It might have been quieter than normal but very good just the same and memorable for it's difference from the norm. All we need now is some snow which it is doing it's best to do as the day ends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb