Bayerisch Eisenstein


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bayerisch Eisenstein
December 21st 2014
Published: December 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

The day started with snow falling lightly, then more heavily until there was a good cover on the ground. For the rest of the day it was overcast with occasional light snow and a biting wind. If this keeps up Linds will get his white Christmas.

Today was was an orientation day of reading up on all the activities available and seeing what suited us best. There was a huge amount of information available depending on what you want to do - walking, skiing, tobogganing, cross country skiing, beauty, fitness, visiting museums, mines or glass factories, the National Park Information office and animal enclosure, to Czech Rep and other places etc. Add to that, Christmas in the middle of the week and closed shops. We have to figure what is going to be operating.

Our first task was to decorate our Christmas tree and put on the lights. We will join others on Christmas Eve but what will we do for our own Christmas dinner the next day? We have sorted that out we think but it will depend on finding what we want.

In the afternoon we did a walk of the town which is fairly small
Decorating our Christmas treeDecorating our Christmas treeDecorating our Christmas tree

We were supplied with the tree and decorations to do our own tree
and no doubt humming once skiing is underway. Much more snow is needed yet. We walked to the station and on into Czech Republic which is just a painted line on the concrete. One half of the station is Czech and the other German. It's unfortunate, but the Czech trains look quite tatty and old. So much for a glorious communist past. On that side of the border were cheap shops and a casino. Back into Germany we visited the Eisenstein Christmas market running from 12 to 7pm which was well supported by the locals. Stalls were mostly food or booze with the odd craft shop. Gluhwein is always served and so is beer. There wasn't a coffee shop to be seen! That is a point of difference between here and at home. There isn't the love affair with coffee.

We called in at Forsthaus (the main house for Bavarian Holidays) on the way back to the house and bought some more food, had a coffee, chose some DVDs and some books from their collection. We're well sorted for a warm night in surrounded by our Christmas lights. It's dark by 4pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Well wrapped up against the coldWell wrapped up against the cold
Well wrapped up against the cold

How did we ever so without puffer jackets? They are so warm in extreme temperatures.


Tot: 0.336s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb