Bayerisch Eisenstein


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Bayerisch Eisenstein
December 20th 2014
Published: December 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Proving that the sun does shineProving that the sun does shineProving that the sun does shine

A rare sight on this trip in the throws of winter. Taken out of our room window over the roof tops
A miracle! The sky was clear and we actually saw the sun for a while for the first time on 3 weeks. But, not for long, it soon closed in and got really cold as promised.

We packed our bags and checked out of the Park Hotel Maximillian which had been our most excellent home for 5 days. We would recommend this hotel as convenient, very comfortable and very well run. With time to spare we walked the eastern side of the inner city through a park showing some of the original Roman walls, the old city wall and to the Danube where there were huge river cruise boats moored which were at least 50 or 60 metres long and 2 stories high.

We said our farewells to Regensberg and set off on yet another train journey to Prattling and the onto Bayerisch Eisenstein which is to be our home for the next week.

Our journey took us along the flat river plains of the Danube then headed off into the hills of east Bayerisch (Bavaria). It was lovely to get into the hills again where there is lots of forest with villages and towns nestled into the
The Park Hotel MaximillianThe Park Hotel MaximillianThe Park Hotel Maximillian

A fine place to stay close to the railway station and across the road from a park
countryside. It is a much more charming view than that of the lowlands. On arrival in Eisenstein with light snow falling we were met by Ulrike who is managing Bavarian Forest Holidays at present. First we were taken to Forsthaus which is the main house of the 4 included. This has an office, a lounge, a shop, games, library, DVDs,and a whole lot of information. It is there as a gathering and information area and also to relax in a larger area. She then took us to Haus Martin Wald where we have a ground apartment. It is very warm, very comfortable and right on the edge of the forest. We were supplied with heaps of information on the area so we won't be lacking in knowledge or things to do. There was also enough food supplied to ensure we could get through a short time until we did some shopping. We were impressed with the attention to detail to make sure that we would enjoy the stay.

I should note also that Eisenstein is right on the Czech border and it shares the railway station with the Czech Republic. The National Park was only formed in 1970 and
House MartinHouse MartinHouse Martin

Our home for the next week
it continues on the Czech side too.

Since there was time, we unpacked, and headed off to the train to get groceries in Regen. It is quite a long walk to the station (about 1km+) when it's all on new cobbled streets in freezing cold weather with a wind factor to add. We are now stocked up,settled in and ready to explore this unknown place that we have come to experience Christmas in the northern hemisphere.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb