To and through the wine country of Burgundy


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Meersburg
June 29th 2011
Published: July 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post




Driving from Millau to the spa town of Chatel-Guyon we found an Aire in the town next to a police station. Millau turned out to be a very busy and upmarket town with an expansive view of the adjoining valley. The following day we left for Cluny where we toured the Abbey de Cluny, once the most powerful monastic foundation in Europe. We then continued on to Beaune, looking forward to touring and photographing the famous Hospice de Beaune. We joined 6 other motor homes in a huge parking area, an Aire which had been downsized from over 130 parking spaces for mh’s to about 12. This ended a long day of driving happily parked next to a supermarket with many choices for easy meals. As we’ve been driving, it has been especially interesting to see and record, field after field of sunflowers and lavender. The floral plantings in each small village are beautiful and creative in their designs. We were also entertained by the antics of the herds, small and large, of the white Charolais cattle.

The following day we walked around the very lovely part of the old city. The highlight is the huge hospice built in 1443 by the Duke of Burgundy. The building has been perfectly preserved, never having to have any restorations, but has a wonderful story to tell of caring for the sick poor at a time when disease was rampant and care for the poor was non existant.. The Hospice de Beaune has organized the most famous wine auction in the world since 1859 This hospice set a precedent for hospital care in this area

After a full day in Beaune we drove a short distance to the wine town of Marsannay-la-Cote and another Aire. This is also a busy stop with 7 vaners here at the moment. From here we have taken a short bus ride into Dijon to explore a city known for its architectural splendor. The importance of its position on the spice route is reflected by being famous for its mustards and gingerbread. The capital of Burgundy, Dijon today has a rich cultural life and a renowned university. There are endless opportunities for photography and we ate a very French lunch; quiches, picnic style on the steps of the Palais des Ducs. We will spend another night here before leaving Burgundy on our way to Mulhouse.

Today we have toured Mulhouse in the Alsace by motorscooter and although it is an industrial city, it has many museums and cultural activities to compliment its reemergence from being badly damaged during World War II.







Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb