Carcassone & Albi


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Millau
June 22nd 2011
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Albi CathedralAlbi CathedralAlbi Cathedral

The largest brick building in the world
Carcasonne & Albi



It’s a warm and sunny day here in Millau, where we arrived today, driving under the 1 1/2 mile long bridge for which it is famous , not only for the beauty of it but it is one of the worlds highest (at 1,115 ft). The drive thru the French countryside was a study in beautifully laid out farmlands in greens, browns and golds.

The elevation of the roads on which we traveled, gave us incredible views of valleys and villages deeply sited between steep hillsides (mountains). As we’re writing this, we look up on a cliffside next to the campground, to see 9 colorful hang gliders soaring off into a clear blue sky, hundreds of feet up from the riverside here at the campground.

We left Spain on Friday 6/17, headed to Carcasonne with great faith in our GPS (Percy), who managed to transport us through and over the mountains on unmarked, single lane, at times, with no shoulder barriers, roads. Once started, there is no turning back. Guy’s driving skills are phenomenal, but I officially have declared war against (Percy).

We found a good campsite on a reasonable walking path to the castle, that we used on Saturday. It was a cloudy and windy day, perfect for hiking and photography. We have had gorgeous clear, warm and sunny weather throughout our trip. Carcasonne is difficult to adequately describe, other than to say that it is the largest walled city in the world and that is a perfectly restored medieval Cite.

Sunday found us traveling to Albi to see the World’s largest brick building, Saint Cecile’s Cathedral that houses France’s largest classical organ. I was reminded of my organist friend in Blockly and wanted to ask the question of the difference between a romantic and a classical organ. During a mass, we were fortunate to hear the organ being played and returned later in the afternoon to walk throughout the sanctuary and some of the adjacent structures. Using an audio-guide was a great help to assist in our appreciation of the magnitude of the building and the intentions of the builders to intimidate by size.

Nearby, the Toulouse Latrec museum provides a dedicated and beautiful home for at least 1000 of this amazing French artist’s most famous works. An audio guide again, gives meaning
JardinsJardinsJardins

Palais de la Berbie
and understanding to a tortured life whose talent was formidable and all encompassing of French life, from the aristocracy to the prostitutes to the circus entertainers as well as his care givers. We continued our walk throughout the town, enjoying the antique bridges, walkways and the now modern part of the city. Please scroll down to see all of photographs that we have included.

We arrived early in the day on Monday and were able to set ourselves up at the camp site and then go for a ride on the scooter and go and shoot some of the Millau bridge. Apparantly the area is also know for hang gliding. Tuesday finds us doing the odd job around the mh and basically relaxing as it very warm today. (32c) Tomorrow we shall continue our journey north. We only have two weeks to get to Stuttgart and there is so much to see



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Albi aireAlbi aire
Albi aire

our over night parking
Milleau bridgeMilleau bridge
Milleau bridge

highest bridge
Carcossone Carcossone
Carcossone

walled citi


23rd June 2011

I want to be you!
Hi kids, Looks like you're having a phenomenal time... wouldn't expect anything different! Keep it up. Looking forward to all of your installments! Monica

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb