Eremitage Solitude


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Leonberg
August 12th 2005
Published: January 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SolitudeSolitudeSolitude

Horses near Solitude Palace
The Solitude hermitage is one of the most gorgeous Rococo castles in southern Germany!

It was built from 1764 to 1769. Upon orders by Duke Carl Eugen the painter (Nicolas de Pigage) and the two architects (Johann Friedrich Weyhing and Philippe de La Guêpière ) created a simply marvelous piece of architecture!

For the Duke it essentially fulfilled the purpose of a representative castle.

'Solitude' in French by the way means 'seclusion'.

The castle itself isn't exactly huge but so beautifully designed it would be a big shame not to visit it when traveling around Baden-Wuerttemberg!

It is open from April through October on Tuesdays through Saturdays between 9 am and noon as well as from 1:30 pm to 5 pm. On a Sunday it is open from 10 am - noon and from 1:30 pm to 5 pm. Admission (guided tours only) is 3 Euros.

However because of its beauty it is often used for weddings and corporate events so the castle's outstanding interior might be closed for visiting. In that case I suggest just strolling around the gardens and the stud farm that gave the nearby city of 'Stuttgart' its name.

Motor
SolitudeSolitudeSolitude

Solitude
sport freaks might know the Solitude from the motor speedway here. Even Formula 1 and motorcycle GP races took place here until 1965. The legendary race track is located south of the castle. How many spectators do you guess came to those motor sports events at the Solitude? Up to 288,000 persons watched the races on the Solitude Speedway!

The castle is located near the town of Leonberg close to the Schillerhoehe sanatorium.

Phone: +49 (0)711- 69 6699, info@schloss-solitude.de


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Solitude PalaceSolitude Palace
Solitude Palace

Solitude Palace


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb