Bodensee - Lake Constance


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Lake Constance
August 5th 2006
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pile Dwellings of UnteruhldingenPile Dwellings of UnteruhldingenPile Dwellings of Unteruhldingen

Pile Dwellings of Unteruhldingen

Pile Dwellings of Unteruhldingen:



The first two reconstructed pile dwelling houses of Unteruhlingen on Lake Constance are from the year 1922 and can be found close to the exit of the pile dwelling open air museum. In the course of the decades more replications of Stone Age pile dwelling houses were built.

The open air museum consists of two different settlements: One is a reconstruction of a Neolithic Age settlement and the other one of the Bronze Age. Together the 20 buildings span the time period from 4000 - 858 BC. To go from one settlement to the other there are nice wooden walkways available.

The houses were raised on stilts over the soil of Lake Constance. The original purpose of that type of dwelling was to protect the inhabitants from marauders. Though there definitely lived Stone Age people in pile dwellings on several lakes in southern Germany the pile dwellings of Unteruhldingen are 100%!r(MISSING)eplications based on archaelogical findings, especially from Lake Federsee, some 50 Kilometers north of Lake Constance.

It is mandatory that you take part in a guided tour. After the tour however you have the opportunity to roam around at your leisure. The guided tours are very interesting and the very knowledgeable tour guides tell you a lot about how Stone Age people actually lived but unfortunately those tours are in German language only even though often the majority of the folks in the group don't speak it...

Though it certainly has this at least slight touch of a tourist trap I believe it is still interesting enough to warrant the 6 Euro admission fee.

The pile dwelling museum is open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. , Phone: +49 (0) 7556 / 85 43, mail@pfahlbauten.de

Unteruhldingen is located on Lake Constance, between Meersburg and Uberlingen in the very south of Germany.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb