The Sun Comes Out In Haigerloch


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Haigerloch
July 11th 2014
Published: July 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The excitement just keeps on rolling here in sleepy Haigerloch! Like any lingering jet lag, the skies are continuing to clear here and the heat has been turned on outside.

We completed our third day at school today. If I could use one word to describe Haigerloch School thus far, it would have to be "Genuine". From top to bottom, everyone at this school honestly loves being a part of it. The Principal, Bernd, is joyous in every encounter, be it with students, staff, or parents. He exudes positivity, enthusiasm and professionalism that rubs off on everyone. The teachers love the school, love their subjects and genuinely love their students. Conversely, the students really seem to enjoy being at school, and respect it and each other.

Our students fit right in to this mold. They are always respectful and caring. They are always looking for ways to build each other up. Perhaps this is why there has been such a seamless transition to school here.

For the past couple of mornings, our students have been working with a music teacher who has been helping us practice "The Cup Song" for the schools end of year party which took place today. The Edison kids have far out paced the Germans in this regard and we had to slow it down a bit for them. I, personally, need it slowed down a bit further, but I digress. The performance went flawlessly today, and as usual, it was great to see our kids dive in and participate fully, if not beyond!

Today, music the teacher presented the group a special challenge after watching a couple videos of "Stomp". The challenge: Create music using household items like buckets, brooms, brushes and the like. They had one hour to prepare, and then it was contest time. Every group exceeded expectations, but one stood out. Cal, Cameron, Han, Kyle, Adrian and Daniel won the opportunity to perform at the afternoon party! They absolutely rocked it! A phenomenal performance that brought the house down!

We had another visitor today as the mayor of Haigerloch dropped by for a meet and greet. He spoke to our group, fielded questions from our kids, and posed several as well. As usual, our kids represented us exceedingly well, as they were well spoken and polite.

The international misinterpretation of the day belonged to Taino and the mayor. Taino said "I think your town is very cool!", to which the mayor responded, "Yes, it has been unseasonably cool, but the weather is supposed to get much better next week, and perhaps it will be warm enough to use the outdoor pool." Gotta love international politics...

The sun came out this afternoon in time for the party, and everyone loved it! Of course, a few began to complain about the heat. Oh well.

Tomorrow we are off to Stuttgart for the day. We will tour the stadium, as well as the Mercedes Museum (we'll see if it is true that every visitor gets a free car), and then spend some free time perusing the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.34s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb