Driving Through the Black Forest


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Baden-Baden
April 27th 2012
Published: April 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Altes ScholssAltes ScholssAltes Scholss

Built in 1102. It was home from the 11th - 15th century to the Margraves of Baden.
Had another great day. We had breakfast with our new friends from Boise Idaho then hit the open road. We did not really have much of a plan. We headed to Baden-Baden. Managed a few minutes on the autobahn. The car hit 215 km per hour without breaking a sweat (or any traffic laws). In Baden-Baden we explored the ruins of a castle on the hills overlooking the spa town below. We then took a wander by car around the town. It was a very posh place. Lots of gorgeous homes. A river runs through the town.



After Baden-Baden we headed south through the Black Forest. We found a number of excellent roads, including K5370 from Ruhestein to Oppeneau. A very steep road with lots of switchbacks with a 100 km speed limit. It is a very narrow road, so oncoming traffic at speed is a little disconcerting. We stopped for lunch at Wilder See Hornisgrinde where we managed to order Black Forest ham, in the Black Forest. Sadly it was nothing like the so-called black Forest ham back in Canada. It was more of a prosciutto. Either way, it was a very nice lunch. The restaurant overlooked
Badeb-BadenBadeb-BadenBadeb-Baden

View of small church in Baden-Baden from the top of Altes Scholoss.
a small lake in the mountains.



Headed down the mountain we came across a couple of parasailers. They were strapped into their gear waithgn for a decent gust of wind .After a awhile it was evident that they had more patients than josh and i. After enjoying the vista we hit the road again. We passed through Oppenau and Freudenstadt before heading back to Stuttgart. All tolled, we put about 300 kms on the car. We got caught in traffic on the way back and were delayed in returning to the hotel. The rest of the travellers fro the Treffen arrived today and tonight was the welcome dinner. The food was quite good including onion soup served in a very large onion. After dinner we moved on to wine tasting. The wine tasting should probably been before dinner (and before the beer and wine). I am not sure that my palate was sober enough to truly appreciate some of the local wines that were showcased for us. Anyway, a lovely evening.



In the garage of the hotel parking lot there are now 12 Porsches ready to run. It is quite a sight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The CarThe Car
The Car

Parked with the Black Forest stretched behind.
Josh in the Black ForestJosh in the Black Forest
Josh in the Black Forest

Hanging among the pines 1000 meters up.
ParasailingParasailing
Parasailing

This fellow was sitting on the hillside waiting for a ideal wind conditions.
HighwayHighway
Highway

On route to Oppeneau - an amazing stretch of road.


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb