R&R in Baden-Baden


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Baden-Baden
October 7th 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

If there were a place that I can be stranded for few days during this trip, I wold pick Baden-Baden with no second thoughts.

I love its elegant streets with unique boutique shops (perfect for window shopping). It has a very classy building, Kurhaus, that housed its famous casino. The building was inspired by Palace of Versailles. Its interior decor is also very elegant, quite different from those neon lights in Vegas. Trinkhalle has a long entrance hall decorated with nymphs and romantic legends about the Black Forest. This is where we sampled Baden-Baden's rich mineral water. Oh, boy, it was warm and it tasted "funny".

What I love most about Baden-Baden is the abundance of hiking/running/walking trails. We took a "mini Black Forest" hike to the Altes Schloss (old castle). Initially, the hike was quite challenging because we couldn't comprehend the German map we bought from the Tourist Information center. Then, we couldn't figure out the confusing trail markers. While hiking, there were some places where we had to decipher the direction carved on rocks alone the trail side. In the dense woods, there were times we just had no clues on our whereabouts. Somehow, we made it to the old castle!! Ancient ruins have always capture my attention. It was intriguing exploring the ruin and tackled its winding staircases. I felt like I was in an "Indiana Jones" movie. From the lookout point, it offered a spectacular view of Baden-Baden and the Rhine valley.

What can be better than soaking in Baden-Baden's famous baths after a day of hiking? After all, Baden-Baden translated into Bath/Bathe in German. Ancient Romans definitely knew how to indulge during their bath time! Caracalla Thereme was more fun and modern. Soaking in its steamy hot tub under the starry sky melt all the soreness away. The aroma bath was a sensory treat, and i just indulged. For a complete relaxation and rejuvenation on our third day in Baden-Baden, we headed to Friedrichsbad (Roman-Irish Bath). Within few minutes, I've already forgotten about the awkwardness of being completely naked. (There were not that many people bathing anyways when we visited. Lucky us!) I followed most of its 17 bathing steps. The soap-brush massage was quite rough, and strange ( Having someone soap your entire body?!) and finished with a light spank. Hmm..... The last bath was suppose to be in a 18C ice-cold water. I could only put my right foot in for 3 seconds and called it quit. Last step was a 30 min nap tucked in (mummy style) in the rest room. Warm, comfortable,and invigorated..........

Simply love Baden-Baden. I long for Friedrichsbad experience again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Trail MarkerTrail Marker
Trail Marker

We finally found it
Baden-BadenBaden-Baden
Baden-Baden

View from hiking trail
Altes SchlossAltes Schloss
Altes Schloss

View from the trail
Altes SchlossAltes Schloss
Altes Schloss

Built in 1102
Altess SchlossAltess Schloss
Altess Schloss

From the lookout point
MushroomsMushrooms
Mushrooms

More mushrooms on the side of the trail. Aren't they cute?
FriedrichsbadFriedrichsbad
Friedrichsbad

Mark Twain was right. "After 10 min you forget time, after 20 min you forget the world".
Strolling Lichtentaler AlleeStrolling Lichtentaler Allee
Strolling Lichtentaler Allee

Alone Oosbach river
Strolling Lichtentaler AlleeStrolling Lichtentaler Allee
Strolling Lichtentaler Allee

Did you see the rose art work in front of the mansion?


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb