Rouen, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 2nd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Joan of Arc CathedralJoan of Arc CathedralJoan of Arc Cathedral

Joan of Arc is a big deal here. To make a very long story short, she was burned at the stake and her ashes were thrown in the Seine River so that the people would forget about her, but of course they didn't. Twenty five years after her trial, Joan was exonerated and became a national heroine. The church was built to make up for the fact that she was treated badly ( to put it mildly), but it wasn't until 1920 that the Church made her a saint.
Geo: 49.4369, 1.08941

This morning we got up early and found a couple of rocking chairs on the bow so we could enjoy the beautiful scenery. The weather is much cooler in this part of France. We were given blankets to keep warm. I love this part. We sailed until almost lunch time. We had lunch on the Aquavit. It was delightful.

After lunch we had a walking tour of Rouen. This city has a rich architectural heritage where the center is almost completely pedestrianized. We walked down medieval streets past half-timbered houses and buildings that date from the 13th century. From its elegant, towering spires to its perfectly restored medieval quarter, Rouen is a bustling port with a remarkable history. It is one of Normandy's biggest attractions.

We returned to our ship at around 4:30pm. Every day they have a cocktail hour from 5:30pm to 6:30pm. Then a briefing of the next day's schedule by the program director and suggestions from the executive chef for dinner. They also have a Piano playing in the lounge every night and dancing in the evening. We are usually to tired to dance. I think we are getting old. 11,300 steps today. I'm hoping all this walking will make up for all this eating.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Rouen half timbered houses. Rouen half timbered houses.
Rouen half timbered houses.

Sometimes they lean.
Rouen walking tourRouen walking tour
Rouen walking tour

Inside Joan of Arc Cathedral
Rouen walking tourRouen walking tour
Rouen walking tour

Restaurant where Juliet Childs discovered French cooking.
Rouen walking tourRouen walking tour
Rouen walking tour

Puppeteer. If a street performer causes you to stop and look, you owe him a respectable tip.


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb