A new ship


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 26th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.5245, 4.87029

Today we swaped ships. Our bags were packed and set out side our door. They were picked up and transported to our new ship that is identical to the one we are on. While that was taking place, we had a walking tour of Tournon followed by a coach transfer to the Train Station Saint Jean de Muzol where we traversed one of France's most picturesque corners during a Steam train excursion into the wilds of Doux Valley.

Tournon is one of the regions most attractive cities located on the bank of the river and overlooked by its 10th century castle built into a rock. The bridge that links Tournon-sur- Rhonen to Taine l' Hermitage is named after "the father of the wire and cable suspension bridge," French inventor Mark Seguine (1786 - 1875). Over the Rhône River in 1824 he erected the first bridge suspended from cables made of parallel wire strands, introducing a succession of modern bridges all over the world. The current bridge which is not open to motorized traffic is located roughly on the site of the first bridge that Sequin had installed here. Next to the Viking ship's docking space, a statue of Mark Seguin stands under enormous sycamore trees in a lovely park.

After our city walk we rode on a steam engine train and enjoyed the beautiful views of cliffs, gorges and caves.

We were then transported to our new ship the Viking Heimdal by motorcoach where we were warmly welcomed. Tomorrow morning we sail for Lyon leaving Provence behind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb