French Alps; Annecy


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
December 14th 2011
Published: December 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Weekend trip to Annecy



As my last 2-day trip, I went to Annecy with my colleague Lily on the 6th and 7th of December. A great relaxing weekend!

We left early on the 6th for a long train ride to Lyon and another to Annecy. We arrived around 1h pm and headed first for the tourism office. On the way, we took advantage of the market taking over the city for the day.

After picking up a few maps at the tourism office, we shopped the markets (Christmas and weekly). Unfortunately in the rain, we discovered the beautiful surrounding scenery.

Around 5h, we were frozen to the bone and so decided to go find our hostel (apparently one of 2 in the city). A bit out of town, but conveniently we were the only 2 in our 4 bed room! After a nap, we headed out to find some food.

In Annecy, the specialty is "Savoie" food, such as tartiflette. A warm dish of creamy potatoes, lardon (ham) and cheese. We found a cozy (and heated!!) pub to have supper in and we of course had some regional wine with our meal.

For our evening, we decided to go see a movie, "The Lady". A movie based on a true story, it was amazing.

The next day, we headed back into town to visit the "Musée-Château". What a strange experience...I have never been so confused in a museum! It was a mix of contemporary art, furniture expositions, aquariums, fishery and castle towers...that's right. Very confusing set up, but on the up side, a gorgeous view of the city because of the high setting.

With few hours left in the town before our train home, and trying desperately to stay dry and warm, we shopped and had lunch. On the menu, salty crèpes, known as "galettes".

At 3h, we said goodbye to the gorgeous Annecy. I hope to go back in a warmer season...

After this, it was back to work for a final 5 days. More soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

GaletteGalette
Galette

For those wondering..I didn't eat the egg in the middle, haha.


Tot: 0.724s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb