Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
October 31st 2009
Published: October 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

It was a very long day getting to Paris. We were up early for the mini bus drive to Casablanca then farewelled Mum and Dad at the airport. They were flying to Madrid, leaving an hour before us. Finally on our plane and arrived in Paris at 11pm and at our houseboat at nearly1am.

We had a busy couple of days - but no early starts! We bought Sarah some new pointe shoes (ballet) from a shop just by the Opera house. I was rather nervous as we walked up because all of the other shops on the street were easily recognized and very expensive (Tiffany and Co, Van Clef and Arpels, Burberry etc) and I wasn’t sure whether we were going to find anything we could afford. However, the ballet shop was great. It was gorgeous with tutus in the windows decorated with lollies (to appeal to both Sarah and Lucy). There was a wall full of pointe shoes and lots of leotards. Prices were much the same as in Wellington so we waited for our turn. The place was packed. It was school holidays and there with children with grandparents and parents as well as many other girls and boys (boyfriends or dancers?). Sarah got her shoes but didn’t like the leotard.

We spent some time in the huge department store over the road then had dinner and went over to the Opera house. Sarah, Kate and I were going to the ballet (their birthday present) and Ken and Lucy were going to go and look forr crepes and meet us back at the boat.
The ballet was fantastic. Very beautiful and the set and costumes (designed by Christian laCroix) just lovely to watch. We had perfect seats (such a shame that when I booked online only the best seats were available!). Upstairs in a box of 6 seats directly in front of the stage.

When we texted Ken to say we were on our way home he replied that they were at the top of the Eifel Tower. They arrived home an hour after us at nearly midnight!
Not surprisingly a slow start for our last day. Went to the Orangerie and had a nice lunch in the Tuilleries Gardens. Had a three part boat ride down the seine and back as that was an easy way of getting to the Orangerie from our boat.


No photos as Ken hasn't put them on the laptop yet and I doubt we'll bother when we are in Korea (we leave tomorrow). Anyway I'm sure you can all imagine Paris on a crisp Autumn day - very beautiful with old buildings and autumn leaves. Lots of people around.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb