All Nice in Nice (France)


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
November 13th 2005
Published: November 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Evi waits for morning coffeeEvi waits for morning coffeeEvi waits for morning coffee

Sunny and warm morning in Nice, along the Promenade des Anglais.
OK so Evi and I flew from Basel to Nice on EasyJet, 100 Swiss Francs round trip per person ($75), a 50 minute flight (compared with 250 Francs and 8 hours by train). We went to visit Howie's high school friend, Terri Isaacman from Harrisburg, who lives with her husband Brian in a house in Trans-En-Provence, which serves also as a bed and breakfast, about 30 miles north of San Tropez.

The weather was pleasant and warm, around 21 degrees centigrade each day (70 Fahrenheit). We spent one day in Nice, had a bus tour to see the beautiful city, then met Terri and Brian at the world famous Hotel Negresco before driving one hour west to their home. We visited small and old towns, drove to the Gorge du Verdun, France's version of the Grand Canyon, and also San Tropez and San Maxime, along the Mediterranean coast. It was a great experience, and we had a fine time. Now Evi will have time to spend with her parents, while I can explore Basel. We will be living in an apartment in the old town, with a balcony overlooking 600-700 year old houses.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Promenade des AnglaisPromenade des Anglais
Promenade des Anglais

Beautiful promenade, full of walkers, bikers, joggers, swimmers, tourists, locals, travelbloggers.
Hotel Negresco in NiceHotel Negresco in Nice
Hotel Negresco in Nice

Hotel built in 1912, beautiful outside and inside, home away from home for the rich and famous.
Umbrellas on the beachUmbrellas on the beach
Umbrellas on the beach

Everybody's image of a beach on the French Riviera, only it's November, not so many swimmers.
Nice, isn't it?Nice, isn't it?
Nice, isn't it?

View of harbour of Nice
Open-air bus tourOpen-air bus tour
Open-air bus tour

We took a two-hour tour of Nice, in an open air bus, very informative and photogenic.
Old city street in Les ArcsOld city street in Les Arcs
Old city street in Les Arcs

Not much has changed over the years...
A door-ableA door-able
A door-able

Just a nice photo, I thought...
At a scenic overlook above the Gorge du VerdonAt a scenic overlook above the Gorge du Verdon
At a scenic overlook above the Gorge du Verdon

Don't look down, and certainly don't fall down. Gorge du Verdon is claimed by the French to be the second deepest canyon in the world, after the Grand Canyon, but I doubt it.
Freshly bakedFreshly baked
Freshly baked

Somebody makes a lot of dough selling this crummy stuff.
Along the beach in San TropezAlong the beach in San Tropez
Along the beach in San Tropez

November, not high season, but this small town is nevertheless full of tourists, midweek.
Easy JetEasy Jet
Easy Jet

Inexpensive no-frills airlines are now flying all over Europe, cheaper than trains, and much faster.
Terri and BrianTerri and Brian
Terri and Brian

Showing us around Trans-En-Provence, their quaint small town, led by the dogs, who rule the roost.


14th November 2005

you
You shakespearean word-smith you. I like that Easy Jet picture, as well.
7th May 2006

yummy
I like french fries. They are Nice to eat in France.

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb