Norman invasion


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
February 6th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Norman invasion

There is something magical about a short break in Normandy when the seasons are changing, during Spring and Autumn.

I have fond memories of travelling its long, straight roads, the crazy shapes of leafless apple trees wreathed in mistletoe looming out of the early morning mist as we sped along, scattering leaves in our wake.

On one particular trip, our destination was the old pan-making centre, Villedieu-les-Poelles, where a cosy self-catering cottage awaited us in the woods.

An enjoyable long weekend was spent savouring the excellent Norman cuisine. I don’t remember much about the weather, possibly due to the legendary ‘trou Normand’ chasers of Calvados which accompanied every meal.

Come rain or shine, Normandy has so much to offer the visitor - from its regional parks and pretty patchwork countryside (‘bocage’) to the faded splendour of its fin-de-siecle seaside resorts, a joy to visit at any time of year.

For historians it’s a treasure trove; there can’t be a single English schoolchild who hasn’t heard of the Bayeux Tapestry . I found standing in the darkened rooms before this remarkable relic almost a religious experience and had to pinch myself to be reminded that - in an age of computer-generated images - this was, indeed, the real thing. No doubt others feel a similar spine-tingling sensation when they stand on the famous Normandy Landing beaches, paying their homage to those who lost lives there in the last war.

Another cornerstone of Norman culture is its architecture. Pretty, half-timbered buildings appeal to our nostalgia for a homely, rural England of days gone by. Its abbeys and cathedrals are spectacular; the image of the Mont St Michel, possibly, world famous. It’s no wonder artists have flocked to capture the essence of this distinctive region down the years.

Normandy covers such an expanse, you can’t hope to appreciate it all in one visit. I’m looking forward to my return trip when I’ll be visiting the top location on my ‘to do’ list - Monet’s Garden, at Giverny.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb