Claire and Simon's trip round Eastern Europe


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
May 17th 2018
Published: May 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Caravan and hutCaravan and hutCaravan and hut

We think the hut is built up to caravan and opened up inside and added as an extra room.
Woke up to sunshine which has remained all day ending up really hot. I tried out the showers on site. You had to pull a chain to get the water running which it surely did splashing on the edge of the shower tray and spraying all over the floor. In spite of my best efforts I was unable to redirect the nozzle. Once it had warmed up I jumped in and it worked very well apart from the stream of water which ran straight outside under the door. Perhaps it was meant. Simon then suggested I drive to the next village for provisions. The roads were quite quiet and the only problems were junctions when you couldn't work out who had priority. I gave preference to everyone and it seemed to work.

After we had packed up we said our goodbyes to the owner and set off for the A26 again and we were soon on our way. Traffic was very light so no problems. Our sat nav lady (My friend Mark says she is not a real person but I prefer to believe differently) has not learned French pronunciation and this can make some directions tricky. For instance she calls Amiens 'R mens' and it took us awhile to work out what she meant! We stopped for lunch at an Aire and then I took over the driving towing the van this time. This went quite well with Simon helping with overtaking which is a bit of a problem when you're driving on the inside of the road. We circled Rheims and then joined the A4 East. When we left the motorway we entered a small town and I found it difficult finding the right turnings. After we left the town Simon took over and we headed for Varennes en Argonne. We saw a sign to Le Camping and then couldn't find it. Fortunately the lady in Carrefour put us right. The campsite Le Piquois is lovely with green open spaces and by the river L'Aire.

We set up and made a cup of tea and then sat out in the sunshine. We booked in and then went for a wander in the town. We found two boulangeries so should be ok for breakfast croissants in the morning. Then we looked in the church and stocked up with milk in the local Carrefour. Then it was back to the caravan to make an evening meal followed by an episode of Dad's Army! We know how to live.





we had booked in and set up we wandered into the village, over the bridge and round the church. We found two boulangeries so should be ok for croissant for breakfast. We stocked up with milk at Carrefour and then looked round the church. They had pictures of the town at the end of the first World War. The place was in ruins and freed by the Americans 26th September 1918. No sign of that now. We went back to the campsite and had a meal followed by an episode of Dad's Army!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

River L'AireRiver L'Aire
River L'Aire

on the edge of campsite


17th May 2018

Brings it back to earth!
Love the fact that after all the driving, sussing out the town, sorting breakfast, that you still have the energy to watch Dads Army! Well done ...my first episode but it was magic... xx
18th May 2018

Hi there
Simon misses his tele so this was one of his dvd's!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb