Day Four - I Thought We Would All End-Up In Seine


Advertisement
Europe » France » Upper Normandy
December 24th 2012
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The day started with an even better breakfast. Eric, the owner, laid on the same spread as the previous day, but added soft-boiled eggs and tea to the breakfast. We were stuffed even more than the previous day. How we could work up the stomach to return to LeClerc for the third time for more food shopping is beyond me. It was already getting very difficult to load our luggage. Our purchase of th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Colorful Even in the Dead of WinterColorful Even in the Dead of Winter
Colorful Even in the Dead of Winter

While the women ate their hot dogs I soaked in the atmosphere of this nifty nautical town. Again, I was surprised that so many expensive boats were still in the water. Perhaps they are actually used even in the winter because none looked to be winterized. The red flag with yellow lions is the flag of Normandy.
Ancient Citroen BusAncient Citroen Bus
Ancient Citroen Bus

Why do French vehicle manufacturers insist on making odd looking cars and trucks? Citroen in particular seems to specialize in creating bizarre vehicles. No wonder they failed in the States. This bus is from the 1950's if I remember right. A little rusted but it would still be ugly with a fresh coat of paint and a new bumper.
Odder Than the Citroen BusOdder Than the Citroen Bus
Odder Than the Citroen Bus

This freaky statue stands outside an artist studio in Honfleur. He looks rather 'armless, no?
Another View of Honfleur's HarborAnother View of Honfleur's Harbor
Another View of Honfleur's Harbor

Because of the rather decent weather (it wasn't raining) we spent a couple of hours exploring the fishing village. We walked the circumference of the harbor stopping in a few shops but not buying anything.
Razzle Dazzle Storefronts on the HarborRazzle Dazzle Storefronts on the Harbor
Razzle Dazzle Storefronts on the Harbor

Each building we saw was completely unique. One thing they did have in common was the fact that they were all closed. I'm sure things are much different in the summer.
The Street's Getting CrowdedThe Street's Getting Crowded
The Street's Getting Crowded

We saw a good number of people in town, but few carried cameras and even fewer carried shopping bags. They were just out for a stroll on the first non-rainy day in awhile. And the reason I took the picture was to show the only Frenchman we saw wearing an actual beret. It said "Rusty" on the other side.
Impressionist TownImpressionist Town
Impressionist Town

Because of the variety of colors and types of buildings, many French Impressionist painters came to Honfleur. Yet another place Monet did his thing.
I Have No Idea Who They WereI Have No Idea Who They Were
I Have No Idea Who They Were

I took this picture standing about 50 yards away. I wanted to play with the zoom again and I was fascinated by all the people that chose to sit outside on a 45 degree day to eat mussels and salad.
Supermodel Posing by the HarborSupermodel Posing by the Harbor
Supermodel Posing by the Harbor

If I remember correctly, Gail and her mother were in some sort of souvenir shop while Cassie and I waited outside.
I Think She's Reached the Breaking PointI Think She's Reached the Breaking Point
I Think She's Reached the Breaking Point

So far she'd been a trooper putting up with the Old People. Normally she would have asked for the car keys so she could go back to the Renault and nap. She didn't complain the whole trip, but did take a lot of naps as the trip continued.
Miss FancybootsMiss Fancyboots
Miss Fancyboots

In the land of high fashion Cassie makes a statement.
Home of ChamplainHome of Champlain
Home of Champlain

Honfleur was the home port for Samuel de Champlain when he set out to colonize Canada. He was ordered to take settlers from Normandy.
We Found Another Christmas MarketWe Found Another Christmas Market
We Found Another Christmas Market

Who would've thought we'd find a Christmas market in this tiny town and that we'd find it open on Christmas Eve? Each of the stalls was a wood panelled trailer. This guy was selling Chaud Vin and Nutella crepes.
French NutsFrench Nuts
French Nuts

These chestnuts always smell so good. Too bad they taste like dirt. The German Christmas markets have the sugar-coated almonds that I can't resist.
Henri Potter at the Skating RinkHenri Potter at the Skating Rink
Henri Potter at the Skating Rink

Smack dab in the center of the Christmas market stood a little 30X15 foot ice skating rink. But this wasn't ice these kids skated on - it was some sort of material that felt like stone, didn't chip or flake and was not cold.
All That Remains of the Town GateAll That Remains of the Town Gate
All That Remains of the Town Gate

The building to the right is the Lieutenance. It once housed the King's appointed governor of this important harbor. It was built incorporating the old town wall and gate. Now it's a museum with public toilets in back.
Instagrammish Impression of HonfleurInstagrammish Impression of Honfleur
Instagrammish Impression of Honfleur

I just love my new camera and all its different effects and settings. This was one of the artsy color-altering programs.
A More Detailed Look at the LieutenanceA More Detailed Look at the Lieutenance
A More Detailed Look at the Lieutenance

This gives a bettet view of how the old town wall and gate were incorporated into this old house.
The Souvenir Shops Await UsThe Souvenir Shops Await Us
The Souvenir Shops Await Us

After checking out all the stalls at the Christmas market and circumnavigating the harbor, we walked into the downtown section of old Honfleur. Although it was already after 3 in the afternoon on Christmas Eve, plenty of places were open and beckoning for our Euros.
Nice Half-Timbered HouseNice Half-Timbered House
Nice Half-Timbered House

Proceeding up Rue Haute (High Street) we passed quite a few old homes like this. Every few meters a tiny alley would wind off the main drag promising all kinds of discoveries for those with enough time to go look. Unfortunately, we were racing the clock. We had to squeeze in as many stores as we could before they closed.



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb