Westward to Rouen


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Upper Normandy » Rouen
August 17th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After an emotional day yesterday we were now ready for a quiet drive west to our next destination, Rouen. Originally we had intended to spend more time in the north of France but time is running out and there is far too much to see. So we decided on a quick glimpse of what we hope to see on our next trip. Our other priority was to get the car serviced. While travelling through Europe we have spotted the Peugeot sign everywhere. Now that we really need it we can’t find it.
Leaving Lille we headed across the Somme area, now a peaceful and very productive farming region. The only signs of its horrific past are the ever present war cemeteries. If we stopped at each one, we would not make our destination on time. Farmers are busy harvesting and undertaking ground preparation, something that has become familiar to us throughout our trip. As always the sight of a tractor at the head of a queue of cars is common on these rural roads. The price you pay for keeping off the motorways.
We found a very pleasant spot for lunch in a quiet village outside Amiens. With the car windows down and in the midst of lunch preparation an elderly local gentleman slowly walked past on his way to the shop. He politely put his head to the open window and cheerily said, “Bon apétit”. We passed pleasantries and he was on his way and we enjoyed our lunch.
The drive across the countryside appeared to be quite flat until we had to drive down an escarpment. The terrain was really gentle rolling countryside similar to North Otago in New Zealand. After a brief R & R stop in Neufchatel-en-Bray, a pleasant town with potted flowers decorating the main street, we headed for our hotel in Rouen. So far we have had no joy finding a Peugeot agent so will just have to spend the day tomorrow searching the city for the elusive blue sign.
Driving towards the hotel there in front of us was The Sign. As we were in the final stages of “landing” we took note of its location and continued to check in. Once that was done it was a quick trip back to the Peugeot agent. After some language misunderstandings, and an assurance about who would pay, the decision was made to do the required service right then. Forty-five minutes later our lovely Peugeot 207SW had new filters and fresh oil and ready for another 20,000 kilometres. Unfortunately we will not have the time, or money, to enjoy the benefits.
Back at the hotel we flopped, knowing one really important task has been completed before the car is returned. Now we can relax and enjoy the final week of our European drive ending in Paris next week.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb